37| Blurred Lines

Start from the beginning

But James couldn't believe what he saw next.

As soon as the adults went into the hut, Harry and Hermione stepped out of the bushes and slowly walked towards Buckbeak. James almost tripped on his toes and fell down.

But this Harry and Hermione were different as if they knew what they were doing.

How. Was. This. Possible.

He could no longer see the actual trio but watched as Harry and Hermione rescued Buckbeak and ran into the woods. He stood there, transfixed.

Maybe it is not them, he thought. I am very far and thus, can't see properly. They cannot be here...

But here they were...

The lot quickly vanished into the woods and just as James was about to leave to inspect what was happening, a black-dog stepped into the clearing. It was looking at James' direction, into James' eyes. He stared back.

James knew that dog... knew it like the back of his hands...

(He didn't really know the back of his hands but you get the point!)

The dog nodded. James thought he did. Then, ran away into a different direction.

Harry, Ron, Hermione... where are you? As if on clue, Ron appeared out of nowhere and ran after the same direction the dog had ran to, following a small cat that had to be Crookshanks.

They all dissapeared from view. First Ron, followed by Harry and Hermione, the three heading towards the dog.

James swore in a way he never had before. He had to follow them. Had to. They weren't safe. James trusted Sirius but he didn't know who Padfoot would grow to be.

He was ready to go but- Before heading out, James grabbed a few of the pills that kept him stable and ran for the Whomping Willow.

Halfway along the way, near an old tree outside Hogwarts, he ran into Sirius and Remus.

"Hey, hey, slow down, mate," Sirius frowned. "What's the hurry? And you're not allowed to run, you know that, right? Come on, let's get you som-"

James shook his head, panting.

"What's wrong?" Remus asked, noticing James' frantic face.

"Ha... Harry," James panted. He took a deep breath and let himself relax for a moment, leaning on Sirius. "Harry, he and the others - they... Sirius is here, Padfoot. The one from this timeline! We gotta go. They are there!"

Sirius paled. James was still shaking his head. He knew for a matter of fact that they wouldn't say no to his request. That's how amazing and close his friends were, brothers.

"Let's go," Remus said with determination. "Harry will be fine. Those three are a tough nut to break. But we need to get help!"

"Not enough time. I suppose you have your wands," James said quickly. While help was a good idea, it would really take a lot of time and something told James that they didn't have much.

Time. That's how everything had started. Into the future they had gone, and now? They didn't have the time.

James looked around for Harry and Hermione's replicas. The ones who had rescued Buckbeak. James was glad but he wasn't going excuse those two. Maybe it was Polyjuice potion. That just made things worse.

"We'd he stupid not to have one," Sirius answered, still pale.

"Let's g-"

"Look!" Remus pointed to the tree which was still far away. Sirius and James followed his finger just in time to see Remus' older self walk in. Remus gasped in terror, "Do you think he's helping Sirius get inside the school? Did he lie to us?"