Chapter 85: Dreamer in Denial

Lyndon reached the control tower before Rose. His Pokémon battled tirelessly until every opponent, including Oleana, was either too scared or weak to continue fighting.

Axley caught up to him with his Snag Machine. There was no need for it. Everyone but Oleana willingly gave up their Poké Balls. Lyndon hoped he might find a self-destruct button, but there was only a huge switch to turn the Robo Pokémon on and off. It was so heavy that even he struggled to pull it down. Oleana whispered into her radio.

'If it's what it takes... if it's truly what you believe in... Lyndon Massey is here. Blow up the tower. Use the emergency remote to control the Robo Pokémon...'

'We'll see, Oleana...'

Rose's Copperajah, that returned to him after release as Blaziken returned to Courtney, hurled aside the enemies blocking his way. Arth, an Area Leader, was crushed almost to death. Rose didn't want to kill anyone. He didn't want to use the Robo Pokémon, but if he could reach the tower, maybe they could be used as a threat.

The last Trainers scattered from Copperajah's path. There was clear space between Rose and the tower. He ran. In a blur of orange, someone else landed. Leon and Stella stepped off his Charizard. Rose skidded to a halt. He called to Copperajah to slow down.

'You know you can't beat me, Rose. You'll only get to the tower if you kill Stella and me. Blowing it up would kill us both, too. So which will it be? I still think you're a delusional pedo, by the way, in case that's the last thing I ever say.'

'Leon... Stella... I'm sorry.'

Neither expected Rose to actually kill them. They thought, despite his greedy and manipulative nature, he was too soft. Leon was startled. He hadn't said goodbye to his kids or Abbey. Stella hadn't said goodbye to Leroy, her son she left with Peonia. Charizard feebly spread its wings... but Rose turned. He released a Corviknight and took off. The remote he would have used to blow up the tower and activate the Robo Pokémon smashed as it hit the floor.

Wheels screeched. Police poured from cars to arrest the crowd of defeated Peons. ONBS couldn't broadcast anything live, but it didn't stop them filming Anabel leading a hunched and handcuffed Ardos from the government offices. There was no escape for any of the Peons who invaded Phenac. They were trapped in the courtyard or the Pre Gym's basement.

The most sensational sight wasn't even Alfie Addison covered in blood. There were people trapped in drains and a random Cipher Commander somehow stuck in a soldered-shut cabinet. Courtney said she was kidnapped, but two year-old Lyric Robel saved her. Randal Knight was there with a daughter who looked suspiciously like Sonia Magnolia. There was Fein, who people initially thought was Alfie, but couldn't be because his jacket was torn open and he was missing both the Fire Agate tattoo and the cover-up Nolan demanded to hide Lyndon's name. Then Alfie said he had to get back to his daughter.

'Yet another unbelievable development!' ONBS reporter Marcia exclaimed, 'Fire Agate Addison is alive!'

Alfie didn't hang around. He didn't do anything he did to be praised. He was loved and wanted by his rapidly expanding family. That was all he needed to be. The irony wasn't lost on him when he stood for a moment outside the hospital, staring blankly ahead despite a potential near-death experience, as he knew Michael once did at Citadark Isle because he played him.

But this time, Dad... I didn't play my heroic brother who walked head-on into the gale of darkness while I was actually a piece of shit. I think you can actually call the last one of your kids to see the light a hero now.

Chalcedony was now being treated for sepsis. She still smiled weakly when Alfie sat in the chair beside her ICU bed as if nothing happened.

'You'll always be my hero... Dad.'