04

Crossing the dense undergrowth, Sierra pushed several individual strands back over her forehead into a ponytail and then ran her fingertips through the remaining hair to make sure she had caught them all and that no single, loose strand of hair wa...

Crossing the dense undergrowth, Sierra pushed several individual strands back over her forehead into a ponytail and then ran her fingertips through the remaining hair to make sure she had caught them all and that no single, loose strand of hair was sticking out. Of course, she didn't have a scrunchie or anything like that in her pocket or on her wrist, so she stopped short and tied her braid with a finger-width strand that would hold it temporarily. It wouldn't be long, but for now, it should do. Anything was better than getting her hair caught on anything or collecting loose leaves and twigs in it.

With each additional step Riven and Sierra took, the crunch of the soft forest floor beneath their feet could be heard at varying volumes. Aside from their own noises and the ones they were responsible for, the rustling of the wind in the branches could be heard, as well as the shouts, of all the inhabitants of the forest and whatever else was panting and flitting there.

"Shit," escaped Riven, cursing, after a loud croak came up over their heads, interrupting the silence, "You're into that creepy shit, can it be?"

"You're not seriously afraid of a little darkness now," Riven was teased by Sierra, though the specialist meant it rhetorically, beside whom she now stopped as he pointed to the hill where he had sat earlier and discovered the dead man, "Here? Okay well, let's take a look around."

"Of course," Riven was not particularly comfortable with the situation by any stretch of the imagination, so he looked around at every little sound, noticing, in the dim light of the moon, the writing on the back of Sierra's neck, "What's that on your neck.... if you don't mind me asking?"

"Um... what? A tattoo but why shouldn't you be allowed to ask?" replied Sierra absently, scanning the ground incessantly as she very carefully, took one step at a time so as not to slide down the incline, "Got it engraved a few weeks ago. Avada Kedavra, before you ask."

"It's getting better and better with you.", Riven whispered in response, as this, perfectly summed up their current situation of being in the woods in the dark where a dead body lay, and once more suited Sierra.

In a fit of panic and not looking closely, perception can be a little distorted and not completely true. Riven was right about one thing. The man's body had not been burned from top to bottom, head to toe, but slashed, which might have been caused by claws. In both wounds, burns and cuts, there was blood, the flesh came out, dark spots and without looking closely, from a distance, there could be some confusion.

𖡦

Suddenly Riven flinched, made a leap to the left and wiped his right shoulder with his hand in panic. By his sudden movement, Sierra looked up and barely noticeably shook his head as a silent question what he had.

"Something grabbed me by the shoulder," Riven replied completely aghast and turned around, but instead of panicking, Sierra pulled the left corner of his mouth up into a smile, "What's so funny?"

"Do you feel her? Can you feel them reaching for you? The way they reach out and put their claws on your body and around your neck? They are the shadows that live in the darkness. There, where they lurk for all those", emphasizing slow and deliberate step, Sierra approached Riven, who moved his head convulsively to the right and left, as if two hands were closing around the specialist's neck, "It is the darkness. All it wants is to take you, body and soul, and devour you. And never to give you back. This world won't let you go. Breathe, calmly. There is no reason to panic. Whether in broad daylight or deepest night, you decide what to be afraid of, not, your surroundings."

"Good to know," which was easier said than done when you didn't know what all was prowling around in the forest, Riven therefore, visibly swallowed; taking a deep breath and closing his eyes before looking to Sierra, who was obviously waiting for something, "Are you waiting for me to become a monster now?"

Sierra didn't need to, because they were already here. Somewhere in this forest, near the school, there was one of many running around. So much for there being no need to worry because it was just one more story. If that were really the case, why the protective wall? Because for a non-existent threat, there would be no need for protection.

 If that were really the case, why the protective wall? Because for a non-existent threat, there would be no need for protection

/////////

If you like the story, I would be happy if you would vote. It is a click for you but it shows us as authors that you like something, because there seems to be hardly any feedback on WP.