Chapter Three: A Surprise

I opened the door to the old shabby cabin, dust that had settle on the ground now rose into the air as I gently swung the door open. "Grandmother, I'm here." I announced my arrival as I walked into the cabin, shutting the door quietly behind myself.

Very few candles were lit around the cabin, and the fire was completely out. It was cold and dark in the cabin, much like it always was when I arrived.

I walked into the living room, and immediately saw my Grandmother lying in bed. Her eyes were shut, but I knew she wasn't sleeping. She was always a light sleeper, even the tiniest of noises always woke her up. "You are late Robin." She croaked as she opened her eyes and looked at me.

"I know. I left late." I took of my mangy and tattered brown cloak and hung it on a nearby piece of wood that hung from the wall, and then approached her bed as I opened my basket and took out the two cakes. "I bought you a galette filled with cream. I thought you'd like it." I gently unwrapped her cake and handed it to her. Her shaky hands took it calmly, and she inspected it with her one good eye.

"Arthur did a good job indeed." She took a bite from the galette and chewed on it for a few moments. "If only his crude sense of humor was as as tolerable as his pastries."

I chuckled out loud as I took out my carrot cake and unwrapped it. "Grandmother, have you been alright here by yourself?" I brought up a simple question to start a conversation, however it wasn't small talk. My mind went back to the dark shadow figure I had seen earlier, and if anyone would know about it, it'd be my Grandmother. But then again, I couldn't just come out and openly ask her. I didn't want to worry her.

"Yes, just like the day before, and the day before that, and the day before that. Why do you ask?" Her eyes narrowed at me as I just looked back to the carrot cake and took another small bite. "Just asking."

After we both finished eating, I took the wrappers and tossed them away into the woven basket not too far away. "I guess I'll start cleaning now." I brushed off my dress and walked out of the living room and into the kitchen,grabbing the handmade broom that hung from the wall. I opened up all the windows and doors and began sweeping the dust out vigorously. After I was done sweeping and dusting, I lit up a few candles around the cabin, and it seemed a lot lighter than it was before, leaving a more open atmosphere.

I took a deep breath and sighed as I looked over all my work. The floors were sweeped. The furniture dusted. Now all that was left was laundry and gardening. I walked back into the living room and lifted up the laundry basket, only to notice it was completely empty. "Grandmother, did you already do the laundry?" I asked in confusion and she just looked at me with disinterest. "Of course I did. I'm not as weak as I seem Robin."

I sighed as I just put a hand in my hip and looked at her sternly. Her pride was by far the hardest obstacle she had to overcome, not her disability. "Grandmother, you shouldn't be getting out of bed for things like that. You know that's my job."

A small smile cracked on her face, and for a moment her gaze had softened. "Robin, as much of a sweet girl that you are, I can fully manage to do things by myself. I might be a blind old bat, but even blind old bats can manage to get around."

"Getting around is one thing, but doing something like laundry takes a lot of energy. You need to save yours." I walked over to my Grandmother and pulled the handwoven blanket over her. "I'll go take care of the garden, be back in a couple of minutes." I gave her a small smile and grabbed my basket by her bed on the ground and walked outside and into the back where Grandmother's herb and vegetable garden was.

I could tell from the first look that the carrots needed to be harvested and the row of 5 corn plants too. I sighed as I put the basket down by the shed and rolled up my sleeves. Gardening wasn't my strongest suit or best talent, but I have to admit I was quite impressed how well the vegetables grew in almost complete darkness.

I started with the carrots first as I pulled them out of 3 by 4 rows. I dusted them off quickly and made sure all the dirt was almost undetectable, and put them neatly on the side by the grass. After I finished with the carrots, I pulled out the ears of corn and peeled back the heavy green layers of blades. Once I was done, I grabbed the carrots as well as the corn and headed back inside.

"Grandmother, I'm done with the harvesting, the carrots and the corn were the only vegetables that were ready to be harvested, so I was thinking-"

I suddenly noticed how eerily quiet the cabin was, and I paused for a minute to listen for a single sound, but the air was absolutely still and I became overthrow with sudden fear. "Grandmother?" I asked as I quickly set down the corn and the carrots and rushed into the living room. "Grandmother, are you-"

I paused suddenly as I saw her sleeping figure lying still on the bed. She looked peaceful as she slept soundly, and I immediately fell silent as I watched as she slept like she hadn't in a long time. I smiled quietly to myself, and grabbed my raggedy brown cloak and put it on myself as I popped up my hood and tied it gracefully around my shoulders.

I guess I shouldn't really bother her any further, I did all that I had come to take care of, and now that I was finished, I might as well leave. I looked silently at my Grandmother once more, and turned to get my basket. I looked all over the living room and didn't see it anywhere, so with slight confusion I walked into the kitchen to search for it, only with failed effort. "That's odd... Where did I leave my basket..?" I asked myself, and suddenly I snapped my fingers as I remembered where I left it.

"Oh that's right, I could have sworn I carried it outside with me, I must have forgotten it there..." I turned around and headed for the door. I opened it slowly and stepped out, but before I could completely leave, suddenly I heard my Grandmother mumble something. "Robin... Be... Cautious... Don't..."

I listened by the door with confusion as I pondered over what she had meant by those words. I looked back into the living room only to see her sound asleep again. My eyebrows furrowed as I stepped out the door and closed it all the way quietly. "Sleep tight Grandmother."

I walked around to the back next to the shed, and I instantly found my basket sitting comfortably in the long grass. I grabbed it and slid it up my arm as I turned and headed for the path back to the village. I felt a sudden nervousness prick at my stomach as I suddenly remembered the shadow I had encountered earlier.

"It doesn't matter. The faster I walk, the faster I'll get home. I'm all alone." I reassured myself as I started quickly walking. The basket swung back and forth in my arm, and something suddenly hit the side of the basket, making a slight ruffling crunch sound.

I paused as I stared down to my basket with surprise. I'm pretty sure I had emptied it when I took out the two cakes for me and Grandmother. My free hand slowly reached over to the basket and I flipped the side open as I anticipated what in the world could possibly be inside.

As soon as I had opened the top of my basket, I gasped in shock. A single white rose was laying in the middle of the basket, and a strange feeling washed over me. I was completely sure I hadn't put it in there. That thought sparked an even bigger question in my mind. If I hadn't done it, then who did..?