She gave me a look but smiled. "Oh okay. I was just tryna help. but tell me about you and your family. How long you guys been in Cali?"

"Me and my mom are originally from Cali. We just moved back last year when my dad got drafted to the Warriors."

"So Ant isn't your real father?"

I turned my body toward her and tooted my lip up. Did she really just ask me that? "He helps me with my homework, helps me improve my ball skills, tells me he loves me and that I'm beautiful everyday. He tucks me in at night and wakes me up in the morning. So yes, he's my real father."

Jamie could tell I was getting upset. She stood up and held her hand out. I grabbed it and she pulled me up. "Let's play another round."

I shook my head. "Na, I gotta get home. My granny waiting on me. I hugged her bye and told her I'd see her at practice tomorrow. I started walking toward the sidewalk.

"Hey Kirsten!" I turned to see Nicole jogging to me. Jamie walked in the house.

"I really didn't mean to step on your toes. I ju-"

"Listen Ms. Nicole. I'm not dumb nor am I stupid. My parents love each other and my dad only has eyes for my mom-"

She chuckled. "I'm no-"

"Yes, you are. Stay away from my daddy cause if my momma and auntie find out, tsk tsk tsk." I shook my head, crossed my arms and turning to walk away. I'm usually respectful toward my elders but if she even thinks about coming on to my dad, KyLeah Staten and Maddie Taylor gon come at that ho neck like flies on a dead body.

My phone vibrated and I pulled it out my pocket.

My King👑🏀- wyd?

Me- walking home. What y'all doing?

My King👑🏀- momma sleep. I'm just sitting on the balcony. How's Brae?

Me- He good. Slept all night. When yall coming back?

My King👑🏀- in the morning. Why la nigxa you miss me?😂

Me- 😐😒 but you texted me tho. 💅 Bye Felipe!✌️

My King👑🏀- I can't stand you 😂😂.

Me- I love you too old man. 😘 tell momma I love her and bring me something back.

My King👑🏀- The customer you are trying to text is temporarily out of service. Msg 2110

Me- 😐 you know what? Bye daddy. 😒 always playing dang.

My King👑🏀- 😂😂 okay I'm done. We'a bring yall something.

Me- thanks 😊. I love you

My King👑🏀- to the moon and back

I put my phone back in my pocket as I walked into the house.

"Granny!!"

"Shhhhhhh! I just put Brae down for a nap. How are you baby?" She asked giving me a hug. I shrugged, sitting at the table. "Im cool. You cooking?"

She chuckled, shaking ha head. "Of course. Want to learn how to make gumbo Nawlins style?"

I nodded with a smile. I loved when granny cooked her New Orleans food. I gain weight but like she said all Staten women have meat on they bones. I washed my hands and helped her prepare dinner. A real one was bout to grub tonight.