Chicken & waffles

Stella winced as she burned her finger on the edge of the waffle maker, immediately sucking on the throbbing skin. She pulled the waffle from the griddle and plated it before turning her attention back to the fried chicken in the skillet. It was the first time she'd ever so much as attempted such a complex meal, but she refused to give Dana anything other than the best on her birthday. She turned to look at the microwave to see there was still 5 minutes remaining and decided to go check that Dana was still asleep.

Stella peaked her head through the cracked door and watched the gentle rise and fall of her girlfriends sleeping frame and smiled to herself. She couldn't wait to make this day unforgettable.

The unforgiving beep of the microwave interrupted Stella's tranquil moment forcing her to sprint back into the kitchen and quiet it.

She took her time plating the chicken, making sure everything looked neat and pretty. She poured a fresh cup of coffee and set it on the tray along with syrup and silverware. Sighing, she admired her handy work, and picked it up carefully, making her way toward the bedroom.

Dana's light snores filled Stella's ears as she entered the room and set the tray down on the bedside table. She leaned down and placed gentle kisses on her cheeks, forehead and nose, her warm breath tickling Dana's face. The redhead smiled lightly and hummed, keeping her eyes closed.

"Good morning, Dana. Happy birthday." Stella whispered, planting another soft kiss on the corner of her mouth.

One blue eye slowly opened, falling on Stella, as the other followed suit.

"There she is." The blonde said, running her thumb along Dana's cheek. "Happy birthday my love."

She leaned down and pressed her lips against Dana's, as she sighed softly.

"I made you breakfast!" Stella said giddily as she pulled away and grabbed the tray from the side table.

The redhead let out a small gasp as Stella set the tray in front of her and the smell of coffee, waffles and chicken invaded her nostrils.

"Oh Stella," She looked up at her with bright, watery eyes, "This is wonderful. You're wonderful."

She leaned in and placed one last kiss on her lips before Stella picked up a piece of chicken and handed it to her with excitement.

"Try it!"

The blonde watched eagerly as Dana took a bite, nearly gagging at the texture. She covered it with a smile, and didn't have the heart to tell Stella it was inedible. Instead she mustered up the ability to swallow and reached for her fork to cut into a waffle.

"It's so good!" She lied, watching as Stella poured syrup over her plate.

To her relief, the waffles were significantly better, and she sighed as she felt the buttery batter melt on her tongue.

Dana continued to shovel forkfuls of waffle into her mouth, not realizing Stella's eyes were fixed on the abandoned chicken.

"Did you not make any for yourself?" Dana asked as she licked a dribble of syrup off her chin.

Stella watched her tongue intently, hungrily.

"No, no I have something else in mind."

The redhead glanced up at her for a moment but quickly turned her attention back to the fluffy waffles, continuing to inhale them. She took a sip of coffee once she'd finished them, and psyched herself up to force feed herself the chicken, but before she could Stella took the plate and headed towards the kitchen.

"Hey!" She said feeling both guilty and relieved, "I wasn't finished with that."

Stella turned around and smiled, "Oh please, you don't have to lie to me. It's obvious you didn't like it."