the first thing i must tell you, you are not human.

they waited, trying to gauge your reaction. when theyd decided you hadnt exhibited any signs of concern, they continued.

second, there is something that you may allow people close to you to do to give them access to you at any time.

you mustve looked confused.

let me elaborate: there is a a ritual you can give permission to your close friends to perform. the ritual allows them to summon you to them at any time by using a trigger that they assign. it also renders you unable to lie to them, unable to betray them in any way, and they know what youre feeling if your emotions are strong enough.

you took in a shaky breath.

"okay. thats uh," you closed your eyes for a second, "thats a lot."

i know. i am sorry.

you shook your head, "no its quite alright, i-its just a lot to process."

would you like me to continue?

you nodded, letting out a shaky "yes."

the ritual, it binds a part of your soul to theirs, so it should only be used with people whom you trust fully- with your life. listen carefully, the ritual is mostly just your verbal permission and then a small chant. after the chant, the person or persons must assign their trigger. that is all. the chant, its in a language unspoken for many years.

"o-okay. got it. um, okay. so uh," you looked up at them, "whats the chant?"

do not be alarmed.

they spoke to you as they stood again, floating closer to you. they held out their hands for you, and you took them. they pulled you to your feet, brushing a strand of hair from your face with one of their free hands.

with the simple touch, you felt sharp pain in your brain that made you wince. thankfully, the feeling quickly faded. as it faded, you realized you had something stuck in your head- a short, foreign poem that you assumed was the chant.

goodbye.

you looked up into their eyes, confusion clear in your voice when you spoke, "what?"

and then you were awake.

~~

the blankets were warm, so warm against the crisp air of the arctic that surrounded the house, creeping in and tickling your face. you groggily pulled the blankets closer to your chest and squeezed your eyes tight.

you hadnt gotten much sleep after that event with XD. youd stayed up long after that, and now, youd only fallen back asleep about an hour ago.

youd woken up to a noise downstairs, which meant techno was awake.

which meant you should wake up soon.

but maybe just a little longer.

you drifted off for a moment, but then were startled awake by the creak of the ladder as techno (you assumed) heaved himself up.

you blearily opened your eyes slightly to try and find him, catching sight as he made it all the way up.

he walked to the bookshelves near you and started to look over the spines, searching for specific one.

you ran over him with your eyes, stopping at his large hand.

your first, and extremely tired thought, was to reach out and grab his hand.

and that you did.

your fingers brushed softly over his knuckles and he jumped, caught off guard by both you being awake, and then also touching him.