Chapter 3

Cassandra knew, the moment Rapunzel suggested the idea to visit the hospital, she had to leave. Leaning her back against the wall of the cafe she just came out of, she exhaled heavily. She, as much brave as she was, or tried to be, knew that she wouldn't be able to help herself from breaking down as she walked down the corridors of the hospital.

She had to visit that place, albeit unwillingly, as it was that fateful day. Both her mind and body were tired, and all she wanted was to disappear.

It was, therefore, an unpleasant surprise when she heard a distinctly familiar voice a few steps away from her, as she entered the garden of the hospital through the back gate.

It called out her name.

Frowning, she turned her head towards the sound, knowing very well who it belonged to.

***************

They were standing in front of the hospital, it was an hour ride from the Snuggly Duckling.

Rapunzel smiled as she took Eugene by her hand and gestured to Varian to follow her inside.

"You know, everyone here is so nice, that it feels like home already!" She chirped as she went forward with Eugene while Varian stayed behind, running his eyes over the hospital's dismal white walls.

"I am not sure, this place looks depressing to me," Varian commented.

"Like CassANdra." Eugene laughed as he winked at Varian.

"Rapunzel!" A light, cheerful voice beamed in the hallway, as Varian saw a girl with light brown hair running towards Rapunzel.

"Faith, Hi!" Rapunzel smiled as she ran towards Faith, hugging her tightly.
"How have you been?" Rapunzel asked her, as they broke away from each other's embrace.

"I've been great. Just got off work." Faith smiled as she nodded at Eugene in greeting.

"Hi Faith, hope the patients aren't slapping you anymore," Eugene smirked.

Letting out a small chuckle, Faith looked at him, "Well, some of them still do, we can't help it."

"At least they don't choke you." With a grim voice, Eugene muttered.

An awkward silence settled in, as Faith looked seemingly uncomfortable. Rapunzel, sensing the distress, chirped up, "Oh, and I almost forgot!"

Pulling Varian by his arm, she pulled him by her side. "This is Varian, Eugene's cousin. And Varian, this is Faith. She is one of the nurses in this hospital."

Varian smiled as he put his hand out for greeting, "Pleased to meet you."

Faith took his hand as she smiled, "The pleasure's all mine."

"Hey, why don't you two go out and explore the hospital for a bit? Faith will give you a better tour than I will!"

"Oh, why not! Would you like that?" Faith asked as she turned towards Varian.

"Uhh… sure!" Varian smiled.

"Well, then. We will start in the garden. It's really beautiful, with magnolias, roses and so many more varieties!" Faith spoke as she took Varian by his hand, turning and walking towards the gate.

Eugene smiled, "Playing a matchmaker already, Rapunzel?"

With a guilty smile, she turned to him, "But look at them! They look so cute together, don't they!?"

"Of course they do." Snaking his arm around her waist, he continued, "And now that we have the opportunity to be alone, we shouldn't miss it, right?" As he led her towards one of the corridors of the hospital.