12. The Callers are Waiting

Start from the beginning

  "Just relax Veronica, I can feel your tenseness.  Remember this is for you, we are looking to help you find your husband. If you feel any of them don't fit let us know, even if it goes against Father's intimidation,"

  "Thank you Mother," I smile handing her a drink before returning to my seat at the piano.

  "I am serious Veronica, like I have said countless times before I want you to be happy,"

  "I understand Mother," I reply as I begin to play.

  "Alright, i'm happy that you do. Also did I see Luke Chambers sneak out of the house as I was arriving? I didn't say any words explicitly because well, if I was right I didn't want your Father to kill him. So was that him?" She chuckles.

  "Maybe," I blush turning to face her trying to hush her suspicions and laughs, "Now we can talk about that later, I think I hear our company,"

"We shall," Mother smiles.

"Ah, Miss Kingston," One of my callers exclaims before handing me a bouquet of flowers as rhymes and chants of introductions fill the room, my head becoming quickly overwhelmed in registering everyone in the room. I know I have already met all of these men but some of them I only had a short sentence long conversation with.

I keep my hopes high as my callers keep introducing themselves, taking turns talking with me, my father, mother, brother, hoping that Viscount Bridgerton will arrive. Although I wouldn't blame him if he decides to stay away from me forever. Speaking of the Bridgerton's I do wonder how Eloise's morning is going, or how she is feeling about me in general.

Not having much time to think about my friend I am swept away in conversation and gifts. My mind racing trying to keep conversation with everyone, trying to answer every question to the best of my ability while trying to stay as proper as possible.

I am also thankful to realize that nobody has seemed to have a second thought about my grand escape last night except for myself. Maybe it wasn't quite as dramatic as I played it in my mind, God I hope it wasn't.

"Lord Green, honor to make your acquaintance. And may I say you are looking ravishing as always my lady," One of the less awful men I met the other night introduces as he kisses my hand and gifts me yet another bouquet of flowers.

"Why thank you," I smile in reply gracefully accepting his offer.

"I have had a chance to talk to your family and they all seem to be the most amazing human beings alive," Lord Green continues.

"If I may ask what is your family like Sir Green? Are you close with them?"

"Yes we are all quite close, I actually have 6 brothers. I am the second youngest and the last to marry, I have been simply waiting for the right bride. I find it important to truly love the partner you are marrying," He continues as I try to keep up the conversation no matter how much it bores me. Trying my best to keep a positive outlook on every suitor incase they are all I am left with.

"That's amazing, I feel the same way about marriage," I reply trying my hardest not to yawn. Conversations like this continue all afternoon, pep talks with Luke occurring in intervals to distract me from how exhausting this whole process is. My hopes of the Viscount showing up slowly diminishing by the minute.

"Is it possible that more suitors will come next time? Ones that did not make it today?" I ask Luke as I fidget with my fingers.

"Yes, it is possible. I don't know how committed they will be, but it is possible," Luke replies.

"But there is still a chance, so that's all that matters,"

"Who are you waiting for Veronica?"

"You will just make fun of me if I tell you,"

"I mean I cannot make any promises but give it a shot. Maybe I will be nice this time," He jokes.

"Hmmm," I reply testing him, "Fine. I am 'waiting' for Viscount Bridgerton. Embarrassing, helpless, all of that I know,"

"Ehh, at least he has a strong reputation with a good amount of assets. I mean he is already the head of his family, that's a lot of leverage compared to half of the men here. But yes, it might be a bit ridiculous considering you ran out on him last night,"

"Do you think he hates me?"

"Maybe? I don't think so no, but maybe he believes you hate him. Maybe that's why he isn't here, he probably thinks you will never want to see him again,"

"Considering you make me feel better so often you are giving quite awful advice right now. Well maybe not awful advice... just advice that hurts to hear,"

"Well as much as I hate to leave your stomach in a twist I really should get going. I have been receiving more and more ugly looks from your family members for hogging you by the minute so I shall see myself out. Good luck on your marriage journey and we shall talk soon," Luke smiles before dismissing himself.

"Well until we meet again," I reply giving him permission to leave, wishing I could follow him and hide.

Instead I endure the many questions and conversations placed upon me for a few more hours. Resulting in utter exhaustion as the last suitor leaves.

"Well that was quite a blast," Mother cheers as the room is left to my immediate family.

"That was quite overwhelming," I reply sinking into a near seat being slightly over dramatic.

"You did great Veronica," Ryder smiles in trying to ease my annoyance, "Didn't she do great Father?"

"Yes she did quite alright," Father replies his face blank and trying it's hardest to not be critical.

"I think I need to shorten my list. I don't even know the rules to that, how it works or if I can. There are just too many creeps, too many citizens that just do not feel right to me. I don't know if I could see myself marrying any of them but there are certainly some of those men who I would be alright never seeing again.

"Well you seemed to have lots of conversations with Luke Chambers. That might have scared off some of the suitors due to your lack of property. So maybe your wish will be solved without a say from anyone who has your back!" Father scolds finally seeming like himself.

"I'm sorry," I reply, knowing just abiding to his criticism is the best thing to do, "Now am I needed here much longer or can I go paint?"

"Is your first thought seriously running away? No want to talk about any of the callers? Not even for your mother's sake?"

"I figured some fresh air would just be nice. Give me time to think about things before I make any rash decisions," I snap back.

"Fine, run along then! Don't let us hold you back!" Father yells once more in reply.

"Well alright then," I whine beginning to feel bad, but to stubborn to cave into Fathers guilt treatments.

With a quiet apology to Mother and Ryder I rush to grab my paints, quickly changing out of my expensive dress into one of my old ones that is now designed towards painting activities. Without a second to change my mind I rush out into the hustle and bustle of the Ton and head to one of my favorite painting spots at the park. The one where I started my painting last week, right before I ran into another one of the Bridgerton boys, Benedict I think his name was. I guess that whole family is just invading my life in one way or another, even if that invasion is simply mental wishes.