CHAPTER ONE

The past 6 months have been the longest 6 months of Juliet's life. Juliet was put into all different kinds of tests just to see if she had what it took to help them with the cure. They traveled to different bases a few times, probably so people can't track where they were.

Juliet tried escaping the first few weeks along with Aris, but they failed and only ended up getting themselves hurt. Juliet felt awful when she was separated from Minho during the first few weeks and she hasn't seen him since which worried her.

She hoped that Thomas and their friends would rescue them, but that hope started drifting away after each awful test WICKED forced her to take.

Juliet was currently in one of the trailer carts, sitting towards the middle on the right side, her wrists tied together to some metal chains that were hooked to the top of the cart just like how the other kids were.

She looked up with wide eyes whenever she heard gunshots and yelling outside and she felt the slither of hope that Thomas and their friends had come to their rescue. She looked around with confusion as it felt like the cart was being lifted up.

After awhile of them feeling like they were in the air, they were then sat back on the ground and Juliet had no idea where she was or what was happening. She looked forward with hopeful look as she heard a buzzing noise near the front and saw that someone was trying to break through the door.

Her eyes grew wide and she let out a gasp of relief when she saw the familiar brunette headed boy she loves, one of her best friends and she noticed that Harriet walked in behind them.

Thomas' eyes scanned around the cart, letting out a breath of relief when he noticed Aris and Sonya and moved over to them. "Aris." he put his hand on Aris' shoulder and Aris and Sonya looked at him with a relieved smile. "Hey, you guys okay?"

"Sonya." Newt rushed over to them, relieved to see that his sister was okay. Sonya smiled at him and then nodded as she replied to Thomas, "Yeah, we're okay."

Newt gave Sonya a quick hug as Harriet moved over to them. He moved out of the way, letting Harriet hug onto her friends as Thomas looked at the rest of the ones that were in the cart with them.

Thomas reassures everyone they're safe and to just hang on for a second as he searches for Juliet and Minho.

He let out a breath of relief when he caught sight of familiar brunette curly hair. "Juliet."

Juliet looked over whenever she heard her name and almost let out a sob when she saw Thomas kneeling besides her.

"Tommy." she smiled at him while her eyes started to get watery he cupped her face. She let out a surprised gasp when she suddenly felt a pair of lips on her own, but he didn't hesitate to kiss him back.

"Jules, I'm so happy we found you." he smiled, but then his smile fell when he noticed the bruises on her face.

"What happened?" he asked, gently brushing his thumb against her cheek that wasn't bruised.

"Me and Aris tried escaping." she replied and let out a bitter laugh. "We obviously failed."

"The important thing is that we found you guys and you're safe now." he told her and stood up since he was kneeling.

Harriet and Vince started breaking the chains of the ones up front first as Thomas took one last look around the cart. "Where's Minho?"

"He's not in here." Juliet told him and she hated the look of disappointment that formed on his face.

After everyone was free and got the ones that needed a first aid, they brought them in a group outside with Vince standing in front of them.

Juliet sat besides Aris and Sonya while Vince talked to them.

"I know you've all been through a lot and I wish I could say our troubles are over. But we're not through with this yet." Vince said as he put his hand on his hip. "WICKED's still out there. They're not giving up. 'Cause you got something they want. They took you because you're immune to a plague that's wiping out the human race. And they think you're worth sacrificing to find a cure. Well, I don't."

"So, in two days," Vince pointed to a ship that was in the water nearby them. "when we get this tub of of rust seaworthy we're getting out of here.

Juliet glanced over her shoulder, noticing Thomas leaning against the wall nearby. He happened to look over at her. She smiled at him when they locked eyes and he smiled back at her.

"We're gonna go to a place where WICKED is never going to find you. A place where you can start over. A place that you can call home."

After Vince was finished with his speech, he and some volunteers started working to get everything ready so they could go on the ship.

Juliet was in one of the buildings with Aris, Sonya and Harriet. Sonya cleaned up some of Aris' cuts he had on his face while Harriet handed them each a cup of water. Juliet mumbled to her a word of thanks and took a few sips of her drink before she sat it down besides her on the floor.

She was asked quite a few times if she needed her bruises checked out or if she was hurt anywhere else, but she just told them that she was fine.

She didn't even realize that Thomas had sat down next to her until she jumped, startled whenever she felt a hand suddenly intertwine with hers. She looked over, seeing that he was already looking at her with a smile that made butterflies form in her stomach.

"Took you guys long enough to rescue us." Aris chuckled.

Thomas shook his head as he smiled. "It's good to see you too, bud."

She glanced over her shoulder whenever she heard footsteps and saw Newt and Brenda walking in. "So, what happened?" Thomas asked them.

"I fought back." Aris replied and Juliet pretended to clear her throat and he chuckled. "We fought back." he corrected himself. "Well, we tried to."

"You're lucky you found us at all." Sonya spoke up. "They had us on the move a lot. It felt like something big was happening."

Newt looked over at the three of them. "Any idea where they were headed?"

"All I know is they kept talking about a city." Aris told them while Juliet and Sonya nodded in agreement as everyone else shared confused looks.

"I didn't think there were any cities left." Harriett sighed.

"That's because there aren't." Brenda chimed in. "Not still standing, anyway."

"Okay, wait, what about Minho?" Thomas asked as he glanced at Juliet. "You said he wasn't in there, right?" he asked and she nodded.

She sent him a sad smile. "He wasn't in the cart with us, Thomas, he was in a different one."

A/N I'm currently in love with thomas & juliet tbh.