Year Seven (II)

En başından başla

What was Annabelle doing talking to that Auror?  Regulus furrowed his eyebrows, it was like they knew each other. Gryffindors were fairly tight knit, so Regulus assumed him an alumni. 

Regulus looked at Annabelle again, she glanced his way, small smile on her face, uneven dimples filling Regulus with butterflies as he scratched the back of his neck and forced himself to look away lest he have to explain why he was suddenly the colour of a sunset.

He should send her flowers.

"You don't think she'd poison me do you?" Asked Barty. 

Maybe jewelry. Perhaps take somethings out of the vault. He wondered if there was a way to take Annabelle to Gringgotts so she could pick. 

"You know what's an underrated soup?" Asked Anthony, "Chicken noodle."

"That is literally the most famous soup of all time." Said Regulus. 

"It's well known, yeah, but there's a quiet dignity to it." said Anthony with a nod. 

"She wouldn't poison me when there are all these Aurors in the school, would she?" Said Barty, growing concern in his stomach. "Dumbledore would totally let her get away with it."

"I think it is because it is most commonly associated with illness." Said Regulus, "I don't think I've ever eaten chicken noodle soup when I wasn't ill."

"How insightful." Said Anthony. 

"I try." Said Regulus. 

"If I die, won't the school see the mark on my corpse? And then my mother will know." Said Barty in horror, eyes wide. 

"Have you gotten your invite to the Dolohov wedding?" Asked Anthony as they walked into the great hall. 

"Of course." Said Regulus, rolling his eyes, "The Dolohovs sent me five."

"Well heir of the noble and most ancient house of Black I can't imagine why." Said Anthony, nudging him as they sat down. 

They were sitting in a row. It was strange. Anthony and Regulus shared a look. The small disruption in Regulus' routine irked him. He glanced at where Crouch was meant to be sitting, the vacant spot feeling unnatural. 

"Crouch? Can I ask why you're sitting next to me? This is not your usual spot." Said Anthony. 

"So I can be sure the food isn't poisoned. Aelin is less likely to poison the two of you." Said Barty with a nod. 

"Crouch. You know I  care about you. And your adorable freckles that I never noticed before. But-" Started Anthony.

"Did she tell you to say that?"

Regulus looked over to Annabelle, flushing bright pink when he realized she was already looking at him. Her gaze travelled to Crouch, and she made eye contact with him. Looked at his food, narrowed her eyes, set down her own spoon, looked at him smirked and then left the great hall. 

"They're all poisoned." Said Barty in horror. 

Annabelle had ruined soup day. 

Regulus would condemn her actions. He ought to have condemned her  entire existence to hell. Only as his heart beat in time with hers, he could not, and he would not. For if she went to hell he would go with her if only to hold her hand on the way down.

"You're being paranoid." Said Regulus, lifting a spoon that was swiftly vanished. "Crouch,"

"Well I don't want you to die."

"And I appreciate that. But-"

"This has all been poisoned. I just saved your life. You should be thanking me." Said Barty, vanishing the bread Anthony had been buttering.