Chapter 31- Losing Kiss Cam

Start from the beginning

The next evening when she reached the school for the final match she wasn't shocked to see the loud way everything and everyone was placed. The walls were decorated with posters of Vikings duplicating the design on people's face. Parents, family and friends of the players crowded the gym when the doors were opened. She and Becky were squeezed up somewhere in the middle when she felt someone pulling her back. Eventually she emerged out to see Cameron and Ryan staring at her with anticipation.

"Why aren't you inside? The game is about to start." She said with a rush in her voice.

Ryan steadily held the arm of his best friend as if he was stopping him from running away. "He's freaking out." Ryan stated with a mixture of anger and worry. She looked at Cameron; his face has lost his natural color. He was white with fear.

"Well, what can I do? He's your friend too. Help him."

"I'm trying but he's not responding to me." Ryan said. He's voice growing panicky with each passing second. "You have to help me here. I've heard him say you're great with tackling him."

She glanced at Cameron again. He was really lost in thought staring down at the floor. She thought he was overreacting but she chose to keep quiet.

She sighed, "Okay, I'll try. But I can't assure this will work."

"Great." Ryan looked relieved. He pushed his friend forward and she grabbed his cold hands and pulled him in a corner. His hands were cold and limp with fear. She rubbed his hands between her palms. She whispered so only he could hear, "Miller, I know you're listening."

No reply. "Look at me, please." He didn't. She took his face in between her palms forcing him to look at her face. "I know you can do this because I've seen you play. You're gonna kick some asses tonight." His eyes slowly darted to her. She could clearly see the magnificent green color in his eyes losing its sheen.

"What's wrong? Please tell me....Trust me I'm not going to tell anyone." She pleaded.

He swallowed. "My parents are not gonna be here. What's the point..." She could see the painful emotions in his eyes.

"The point is you. It's all about you. You do this because you love it not because you want to impress somebody."

His face fell. She felt anger boiling in up in her veins. "Hey you're team is counting on you. You understand? We are counting you. I am counting you." She pressed a finger to his chest.

Cameron looked up. "What if we lose?"

"Even if you do that's not gonna change anything, Miller. We'll always be there for you." She said with conviction she could feel. She held him by his shoulders, "Now you're gonna go out there for your team. Make them proud and make yourself proud and just enjoy the game."

He sighed but a small smile came on his face gradually restoring the color in his cheeks. She hugged him and called Ryan who was standing at a distance to join in for a group hug. "We'll always be there Cam to support you in everything." Ryan said patting the back of his friend and Ally agreed.

"Thanks guys." He exhaled and she felt his body relaxing in their hug.

"See, sometimes all you need is a hug." Ally remarked their position.

"Now go in there and just live the time of your lives." She said pushing them off her and into the gym. They ran inside with Ally behind them. When Ryan had went ahead Cameron turned back smiled and mouthed a 'thank you'. She smiled back at him and gave him a thumbs up. She was unfamiliar to this kind of happiness. The happiness that you get from other's smile. It felt like she was finally doing something right. Something worth doing.