A big blanket, snacks, dessert, and champagne, plus those little battery-operated fake candles. Real ones would blow out with the wind off the sea. We're here at exactly the right moment as the sun begins to set.

"Ready?" I ask her, undoing the knot on the back of her head that helped my scarf serve as a blindfold.

"I've never been more ready," She says happily.

I pull the scarf away from her eyes and rest it around my neck, stepping out of her view.

Her eyes widen. She looks down at the little picnic I set up, then back up at me.

"Spencer..." Ophelia wraps her arms around me, hugging me tight. "This is amazing."

"Let's sit down," I give her a quick kiss on the cheek.

The two of us sit down on the blanket. Ophelia stares off into the distance, watching the waves crash onto the shore.

"I know how hard it is to leave your family," I say softly, reaching over to rest my hand on hers. "I feel horrible every time I leave my mom in Vegas."

She gives me a sympathetic look. "I'm sure she understands. You've got this big, fancy job making the world a better place. She must be so proud of you. We should visit her soon. Pack up, go to Vegas. I mean— if you want me to meet her."

"I do," I nod and break eye contact, looking at the water. "I'd love to have you meet her. I think
... you should know that she's schizophrenic. She lives in Bennington Sanitarium in Vegas— they take care of her, make sure she's taking her medicine, make sure she's healthy."

"You never told me this," She says, scooting closer so that she's right up against me. "It must be hard."

"It is. I never really thought I'd have to tell you when we were friends because I never thought you'd meet her. I never anticipated becoming... this."

Lia rests her head on my shoulder. "Neither did I."

"Plus, I... I'm scared. Schizophrenia can be hereditary and... males usually have their break in their twenties." I can feel tears building up in my eyes. "It was too much for my dad. He walked out on us. I know how hard it is, so... if I ever—" I choke a tiny bit. "I just... wouldn't blame you for leaving."

I expected her to pull away, maybe to even see me differently for a little while. I even expected that she'd be upset I never told her about my mom.

Instead, she sits up and turns my face toward hers.

Her eyes search mine, full of concern, full of love. She tucks some hair behind my ear and holds my face in her hands.

"Spencer, no matter what, I'll always be here. I promise." She assures me.

Ophelia wraps her arms around my neck and I return the embrace.

"I love you so much, okay? I'm never going anywhere." She whispers into my ear.

"I love you, Lia." I respond, running my fingers through her hair.

"Let's enjoy this wonderful, romantic date you've set up for us," She says as she pulls away. She gives me one quick kiss on the lips before grabbing the champagne bottle.