My eyes opened as soon as the wheels of the aircraft hit the solid ground of Madrid. I was home. Back home. The view of Adolfo Suarez Madrid Barajas Airport Terminal 4 was calming and welcoming. My lungs filled with excitememnt and happiness. The flight slowly parked itself and opened the doors allowing the passengers to get off the flight. I took my suitcase from above and left the aircraft thanking the airhostesses for their service. 

    The luggage arrived five minutes late. I stood there, waiting for my baggage at front of the queue when my eyes suddenly fell on a familiar figure. She was a female with long maroon hair wearing a pear of blue jeans with a white shirt and a yellow blazer with a brown purse on her shoulder. It was when I layed my eyes on hers where I realised that she was not just any familiar face. It was Priya. Priya my best friend from childhood. Priya who I met in Vancouver. Priya who had feelings for me. Priya who I had the biggest fight of my life with. She was so different and she didn't seem to notice me. I immediatley hid myself behind a middle aged lady next to me in shame. It had been seven years since I last saw her. Seven years since our big fight. I didn't know what to do. Should I go talk to her or not? All of a sudden the luggage started arriving and one by one everyone picked their bag and left the airport. I saw my blue big bag arrive and picked it up instantly and walked out of there before she could notice me. It was weird. It had been so long and starting a casual conversation now would just make no sense. We were stragers. Friends who were no longer... friends. I suddenly spotted my mom at the entrance of the airport running towards me with her hands open. She gave me a big tight hug.

    "Oh my darling, it's been so long. How are you doing my boy?" She said carresing my back as she hugged me. 

    "Hey mum, I'm fine" I said as she let go of me and my father hugged me lightly. 

    "Son" he said looking at me with a wide smile on his face.

    "Dad" I said returning the smile. We all walked towards the car ready to go home. The excitment running through my body was unstoppable. I missed my home, and was content to finally see it again. As for Priya, well wether I believed it or not I was actually happy to see her. It had been quite a while and even though  we didn't talk and weren't friends, seeing her always made me happy, even after everything.

Priya's  POV 

    He stood right infront of me, next to a middle aged lady waiting for his luggage. It had been seven years. I didn't know if I was still mad at him or not, but seeing him always made me happy, atleast at first. Starting a conversation with him now would just make things awkward so just as he was about lay eyes on me, I faced away and pretended like I never saw him. His were shocked for a moment, and then he hid behind the lady next to him. What a coward. Still can't face me. I instantly took my luggage as it arrived and headed towards the exit waiting to get back home promtly. My parents greeted me outside by the car. Where I watched Rahul go. Luckily, my parents didn't see him or his familly. Our parents were very close friends so if they would have seen eachother, they would have probably ended up spending the whole day together and that, was just...weird.

**********************

New Years Eve

Rahul's POV

   "Rahul are you ready? We are going to be late, the reservation was for 9:30 not 10:00" My mom was screaming from her room. She hated being late. Especially for New Years Eve. We had a reservation at the Eurostar Madrid Tower for the last day of 2014. It was going to be a New year, a new start. My parents and I had a formal dinner with some friends, they refused to tell me with who at all costs and said it was some kind of surprise. I just hope it was a good one. I fixed my tie and walked out of the room ready to go. My mother went through tonights schedule again in the car, boring me with the sound of it.

    "Remeber the both of you, we are staying in the hotel for the night." She said clarifying herself to us "Clear?" she said looking at me.

    "Crystal" was my response. An employee from the hotel soon approached us and offered to park our car in the garage. My father enetered the hotel and asked about our reservation

    "Hola, tenemos una reserva hoy a las 9:30 por el nombre de Nikhil para 6 personas y 4 habitaciones para esta noche" (Translation: "Hi, we have a booking today at 9:30 by the name of Nikhil for 6 people and 4 bedrooms for tonight") my father had perfected his spanish after living for fourty years in Spain. The man nodded and pulled out 4 key cards from the drawer beneath him. He handed them to us and signalled his assistant to guide us to the dining room, before we left he said 

    "La otra familia ya ha llegado y esta esperando dentro de el restaurante. Que tenga una buena noche" (Translation: " The other family has already arrived and is inside the restraunt. Have a nice night") He smiled politley and we headed towards the grand restraunt situated the back of the luxurious hotel.

     We were taken to our place when the familiar face hit my eyes again. We both stood in shock , paralized, confused. This was the suprise? I thought to myself. This couldn't be happening right now, our parents didn't know aboout our fight, and couldn't know about it. Our parents stared at us, waiting for us to say hello. Things were getting intense and before our parents could suspect anything I improvised and walked up to Priya and gave her a little kiss on both her cheeks. Our parents smiled with satisfaction and took their seats. Me and Priya were facing eachother, still shocked and silent. The atmosphere was silent for a minute when our parents started their indian fun starter pack and started gossiping. I looked at Priya still speechless. She looked back at me and was going to speak when I cut her off

    "Can we please just forget about it for tonight? I mean why complicate things? It's New Years Eve, let's just pretend that we are ok and when we get back to Vancouver we can go back to hating each other" I said in a low voice so our parents wouldn't hear us. She smiled slightly and said

    "I was actually going to say to just forget the past and move on. Not just here, in Vancouver too. I mean what happened between us was a very long time ago, and we were very young and crazily in love. Crazily." She looked down at her plate bit embarrased about the past. I nodded and agreed with her suggestion. However this changed nothing. For the rest of the night we tried avoididng each other and barging into our parents conversations as if they were fun to avoid the leftover friction between us. 

    Before we knew it, it was 11:59 and there was a minute left for a New Year to begin. 

    "5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Happy New Year!" I hugged my mum and went around the whole group, finally to Priya. I hugged her lightly and wished her shyly, she wished me back but the way we both were acting around eachother was just pathetic. None of us were ready to move on from that fight. Both of us were stubborn and extremly arrogant at this point. We tried to celebrate NYE with happy faces for the rest of the night, but it was impossible. Soon enough our parents called it a night and went into their bedrooms to get some sleep. I on the other hand, could not do so. There was so much to talk about betweeen us. So much I wanted to say. But I couldn't. I walked up to the bar and started drinking. I was stressed and was panicking, and drowning myself in tequila shots was my way of avoiding the chaos. I drank and drank until I couldn't walk properly. But it was only a matter of time before I realised that drinking too much just causes more chaos. I walked up to the elevator and was determind to head towards Priya's room, I wanted to clarify stuff, now. Right now. I knocked on the door angrily and waited for it to open. It didn't thats when I heard the sound of a pair of heels walk down the hall. It was her. She was drunk too. She looked at me confused and said

    "What do you want now? Break my heart again? Go away Rahul." She pushed me away and opened her door. Before she could shut the door I walked inside and without a second thought, or a first thought shut I pushed her against the wall and pressed  my lips against hers passionatley feeling her soft red lips. She kissed me back and before I knew it, we were doing a lot more than making out. 

Priya's POV

    My eyes opened at the strong sunlight coming through the window. I covered my eyes and was about to get up when I felt a weight holding me down on my bed. The touch was familiar. My eyes sprung in shock when I saw Rahul's naked figure beside me, sleeping. I soon realised that he wasn't the only one naked. I was too. I jumped out of bed and covered myself with a blanket. What the hell happened last night?...

TO BE CONTINUED...