Chapter 2: Secret Admirer I

"That was close!", Xuanyu fell beside his master. Stealing two jars of wine from the cellar was easy, nearly bumping into Jiang Cheng was how they made a run for it.

" How come you're not out of breath?", Xuanyu consoled his heaving chest.

" I am Wei Wuxian, I never get tired.", Wei Ying smirked. The youngster's profound boasting nearly earned him a knock on the head. This was his doing.

" Whatever, let me quench my thirst. Here, have this.", Xuanyu drowns that urge with liquor. He hands the first jar to Wei Ying and rushed the second down his throat.

Wei Wuxian wiped the excess booze trickling down the corner of his mouth. A silent grin perched on his face.
He could not make out why that alpha looked so serious.

'Hanguanjun, I bet you'd look scarier when you smile. And who else to survive such a miracle... If not me?', he sent the jar to his lips with a straight face...

************************************************************************
Jiang Fengmian was a gentleman. Many say his lack of a strong personality was matched by his wife, Yu Ziyuan. He treated all with respect yet raised his son rigidly.

Having guests was not strange. The distinction was that the Lan Clan rarely asked for assistance or dug for knowledge outside their sect.

Not only did Sect Leader Lan visit with his sons, but his brother also came along.

Qiren was the brain behind the two jades of Lan. Haven tutored them since they were children, he had a stronghold in their lives.

Jiang Cheng did not mind having Sect Leader Lan or his first son around. It was the other two that he could not stand. To him, the variety between them was the senior bearing a sharp tongue and a goatee.

"Traces of the ailment has reared its head in the remote areas of Lanlingjin and QingheNie. A few have been sighted in Gusu Lan but it's nothing that can't be handled. I do however have a recurring issue about water ghouls in Caiyi town.", Qinghenjun never rushed in his speech.

Fengmian, "Yes, I am aware the young masters are here to learn how to deal with them effectively. My son will see to it."

Qinghenjun, "Thank you, old friend."

Qiren, "This is a vivid sign that Wei Changze is on the move. Instead of pruning the overgrowth, why not uproot the tree. The world would be safer with his demise."

"With all due respect Lan Qiren, there is no solid evidence that Sect Leader Wei is responsible for this.", Jiang Cheng interrupted. His eyes locked on his cup of tea deters him from glaring rudely.

Qiren, "Well, do you know of any other  man that could control resentful energy?"

Jiang Cheng, "There are imitators out there trying to learn the arts. If this was his handiwork, wouldn't he do worse than deploying a few puppets?"

"Does Young Master Jiang defend the enemy? Has your father not told you of the day the clans invaded YanLinWei and what horrid things we saw?", there was a disapproving pitch in Qiren's tone.

"I know my father stood with you and the others to save us.", Wanyin stressed. " However, I find it disturbing that we celebrate the massacre of women and children like an honourable achievement.", he stunned the cultivators present with his remarks.

"Young Master Jiang has forgotten how death plagued the world because a Sect Leader wished to become more powerful.", Lan Wangji stepped in, his poker face fixed on his age mate.

"If Sect Leader Wei was that powerful, why couldn't he stop the clans from murdering his wife, burning down half of his sect and constantly slandering his name...?"