Chapter 41 - Poignancy

Start from the beginning

"Yes, but he didn't care —"

"— he wouldn't listen —"

"— two rolls of parchment!"

"— Bel tried to, but he said she was a know-it-all!"

Professor Lupin smiled at the look of outrage on every face. "Don't worry. I'll speak to Professor Snape. You don't have to do the essay."

They had an enjoyable lesson. Professor Lupin made them practise the Smokescreen Spell, a charm used to create a defensive cloud of smoke from the wand that hindered visibility. He explained that this charm was quite useful in duelling, as the smoke hid the caster, preventing an opponent from accurately aiming their spells as well as allowing the caster to escape unseen. When the bell rang, everyone gathered up their things and headed for the door; Betelgeuse lingered, "Professor," Lupin diverted his attention from the papers on his desk to the black-haired girl. "You are feeling better."

"Ah, yes! Thank you, Betelgeuse. I heard about the match," Lupin replied, turning back to his desk and starting to pile books into his briefcase, "Professor McGonagall said she had never seen a wandless Patronus Charm so potent. She said it blinded all the pitch."

"The situation requested a drastic solution," Betelgeuse replied coolly. Then she smirked, "I did not know Minnie held me in such high regard."

"Indeed," Lupin replied, laughing, "It's not the first time I hear this nickname."

Betelgeuse decided to not press and changed the topic, "I gathered the Whomping Willow smashed Potter's broom to bits." Lupin sighed.

"They planted the Whomping Willow the same year that I arrived at Hogwarts. People used to play a game, trying to get near enough to touch the trunk. In the end, a boy called Davey Gudgeon nearly lost an eye, and we were forbidden to go near it. No broomstick would have a chance."

"And we wonder why women live longer than men," Betelgeuse lightly commented, making Lupin chuckle. A ray of wintry sunlight fell across the classroom, illuminating Lupin's grey hairs and the lines on his young face. "Nonetheless, Betelgeuse, what you did was really brave and outstanding. Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth."

Betelgeuse inclined her head, "I will see you around, Professor."

☆☆☆

Betelgeuse found herself drowning in schoolwork, assignments, and Quidditch practises. Ravenclaw flattened Hufflepuff in their Quidditch match at the end of November, so Gryffindors were not out of the running after all, although they could not afford to lose another match. Wood became repossessed of his manic energy and made his team work as hard as ever in the chilly haze of rain that persisted into December.

Two weeks before the end of the term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling, opaline white, and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in glittering frost. Inside the Castle, there was a buzz of Christmas in the air. Professor Flitwick had already decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that turned out to be real, fluttering fairies. The students were all happily discussing their plans for the holidays. Betelgeuse had decided to go back home and enjoy the company of two of her most close companions, and the twins even had invited her over for a few days.

The plan to give Peeves the Love Potion had worked flawlessly. Filch had not been able to get rid of the poltergeist for a week. The spirit had even declared his undying love for the caretaker before the entire school.

To everyone's delight, there would be another Hogsmeade trip on the very last weekend of the term.