CHAPTER 3: FEARS ARE MEANT TO BE OVERCOME

Start from the beginning

Gura had her eyes on Ina's movements, seeing the many Moris on the page. "What is this? Is Mori like your model now?" Ina didn't respond, concentrating hard on the light over Calli's face as she lifted her bangs. Gura kept quiet and didn't bother repeating since she understood that she was zoned out right now.

"Do you think Ina is alright?"

"'S fine, 's fine," Kiara assured Amelia, patting her back with friendly familiarity. She wasn't really focusing on Amelia's words, instead gorging herself on her KFP chicken wings that her parents had packed her. The sauce on the end, glistening as the sun hit its gloopy surface. Absolutely mouthwatering.

However, Amelia was more concerned about Ina and Calli. "I'm serious! What if she's got something on Ina and using it against her?"

"Uhm, hello?" A deep voice cuts through the noise, coming closer as the seconds pass. The noise turned to silence. The silence turned to stunned silence. The group looks up at Calliope Mori with their jaws slack in surprise. With nothing else said, Calli continued, "am I intruding? I'll just... go..." She felt the pressure of their eyes on her, only for it to be washed away by another's voice.

"Nononono- stay!" Kiara slammed her hands down, pushing herself towards Calli to ensure her. She bounded up to Calli, taking her hands and gathering them under her own warm palms,"You're not intruding, not at all- not at al!" With a wide grin, Kiara smiled her thousand kilowatt smile, "I'm so glad you could join us even!" Pulling Calli along with her, Kiara returned to the bench with a great smile.

As awkward silence between them ensued, Ina felt it appropriate to step in. "So, Calli..."

The girls looked at Ina with a wide stare as she said 'Calli.'

"What do you do in your spare time, humu?" Ina scratched her cheek, trying to break through the heavy atmosphere of awkwardness.

Calli hummed in thought, blinking slowly, "I like to play games." She leaned forward to face Ina, who was across her, more. "Especially shit like Bloodborne, Persona-"

"You like Minecraft?" Gura pulls out her switch, with a custom case with blue waves. Seemingly less afraid of Calli, she leaned over to her with a hopeful star and held her switch in front of her. "We can play multiplayer!"

"I have Minecraft..." Calli drifted slightly, seeing Amelia's unwillingness to talk, "I just haven't played in a while. I like Creative Mode, that's why." Her eyes brushed over Gura's many installed games on her Switch, all of them spanning many genres of games. She leaned back, slightly embarrassed that she wasn't as much of a 'gamer' of sorts in comparison.

Gura bounded with joy and so did Kiara, "You can hop on our server if you'd like! It's missing a spot."

The girls around the bench felt the conversation go on naturally, with most of the topics surrounding games, music and food since their interests were in the same line. Especially Kiara and Calli. The wo figured out how their food tastes were incredibly similar, loving yakiniku with beef only. Gura seemed to enjoy similar music that Calli did as well (due in part to Gura's wide and vast variety in genre enjoyment.) All of them were having a blast...

Except for Amelia. Unfortunately, the only barrier that Calli could not pass yet was her. While small comments from Amelia were made once in a while, nothing Ina tried would let Amelia bring her guard down. She quietly stared at Calli for the rest of the interaction.

As time flew by, they dispersed for their respective classes.

"See ya, Calli! Let's play Minecraft one day." Gura chirped, slipping away.

Kiara chuckled, wrapping her arms around Calli's torso. A little too friendly for Calli but she let it happen regardless. "Barbeque one day?", she pats Calli on her shoulders and scrambles off to the next class.

Next came, Amelia who slinked up next to Calli suspiciously.

"See you, detective?" Calli spoke cautiously, pulling her arm up to wave her off.

In response, Amelia nodded but not quite meeting Calli's eyes. She pulled over her hat to cover her face, keeping her distance from Calli as she slinked off to her class, pulling up next to Gura to talk to her on the way there.

Calli sighed, looking off at them, "Watson doesn't like me too much, doesn't she?" She shrugged, turning back to Ina, who waited there for Calli to walk together.

Scratching her neck, Ina looked between her and Amelia. With a sigh, she traced her hand up to the back of her head stressfully. "She's skeptical; it comes naturally for people like her. I mean, Amelia wants to be a detective. It took a while for her to even get close to us." She waved Calli to come with her as she walked.

"So," Calli slipped her hands into her pockets, keeping her eyes on the smaller girl, "how did she come around? Like, did you bribe her something?" She scoffed, chuckling to herself, causing Ina to laugh along.

"I acted like a bridge I guess. I'm human and she was too so we had a similarity there. After I convinced her to take a chance on them, it naturally came along."

"Like how you did with me and Kusotori-"

"Pfft-!" Ina held back on her laughter, covering her mouth. She looked up at Calli with squinted eyes from how wide her grin was. "Kusotori-! You need to call her that!"

"No way, that's so rude though! I-I don't wanna be too rude."

Ina giggled, finding it cute how Calli spoke so formally and stiffly about being proper when she had the worst reputation in school. So many people had talked of Calli being an improper person, being rude and such but here she was: fretting over a nickname. "It's not rude, we do have nicknames for each other!"

Calli pouted, doubtful of Ina. She crossed her arms and looked away, whispering, "Give me an example of it then."

As Ina opened her mouth, she realised that they had arrived upon their classroom. Their classmates staring at the odd pair and whispering amongst themselves about the two girls. She felt shy, awkward and her throat drying up as the seconds went by. However, a hand on Ina's back discreetly comforted the girl.

"Later, I guess."

She passed by Ina, going to her own seat with her head down.

Guilt settled below Ina's stomach, dropping as she saw Calli's downcast expression. She kept her eyes on Calli, walking away from the door they were at and slipping through the grouped students staring at her. Quietly, she whispered a silent sorry to a person as she passed them to her seat but the direction to where she apologised was not obvious.

"I guess things don't really change in a day." Ina heaved a heavy sigh, spinning her pencil on her thumb.