POA: Chapter Nine

"You're both mental!" Ron shouted.

"Ridiculous!" Said both Cordelia and Hermione faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew is dead!" Said, Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Sirius.

"I meant to," Sirius growled. "But little Peter got the better of me... not this time, though!"

And Sirius lunged at Scabbers.

"Sirius, NO!" Remus yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Sirius away from Ron again,

"WAIT! You can't do it just like that— they need to understand— we've got to explain—"

"We can explain afterward!" Snarled Sirius, trying to throw his husband off.

"They've—got—a—right—to—know—everything!" Remus panted, still trying to restrain Sirius. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand, and Harry and Della — you owe Harry and our daughter the truth, Sirius!"

Sirius stopped struggling. "All right then, tell them whatever you like. But make it quick Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

"You're nutters, both of you," said Ron. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

He tried to stand but Remus pointed his wand at Scabbers. "You've got to hear me out Ron, just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled. Harry turned to Remus.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," he said. "A whole street full of them..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" Said Sirius savagely.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," said Remus. "I believed it myself— until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies... Peter's alive. Ron's holding him, Harry."

Then Hermione spoke. "But Remus... Scabbers can't be Pettigrew... it just can't be true, you know it can't..."

"Why can't it be true?" Asked Remus calmly.

"Because... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework— the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witch's and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animals they become, and their markings and things... and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list."

Cordelia looked at her friend. "Was my name on the list 'Mione'?"

Hermione looked at Cordelia as though she had lost her mind. "No, why would your name be on the list."

Cordelia simply shrugged and suddenly she was gone. Where she had been standing now stood a small Black Wolf Cub. Sirius let out a bark-like laugh and Remus shot him a disapproving look worthy of Hermione as Cordelia turned back to human.

Her friends gaped at her and Remus shot her a 'we will talk about this later' look and continued with his story.

"Well Hermione, sometimes the Ministry doesn't know everything, take my daughter as an example to that." Said Remus. "The Ministry never knew three unregistered Animagi were running around Hogwarts."

"If you're going to tell them the story Remus, get a move on. I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to wait much longer."

"All right... but you'll need to help me, Sirius," said Remus. "I only know how it began..." Remus broke off, there was a loud creak and the bedroom door opened of its own accord. Remus walked over and look out at the landing.