POA: Chapter Eight

Cordelia, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were sitting in the common room when an owl flew through the open window and dropped a note on Hermione's lap.

Lost appeal. They're going to execute at sunset. Nothing you can do. Don't come down. I don't want you to see it.

Hagrid

After dinner that night, the four of them huddled under the Invisibility Cloak and walked down to Hagrid's hut. They reached the door and knocked. When he answered he was pale-faced.

"It's us," Harry hissed. "We're wearing the Invisibility Cloak. Let us in and we can take it off."

"Yeh shouldn've come!" Said Hagrid, but he let them in any way. "Dumbledore's gonna come down while it—while it happens. Wrote me this mornin'. Said he wants ter—ter be with me. Great man, Dumbledore..."

"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid," Cordelia began, but Hagrid shook his head.

"Yeh're ter go back ter the castle. I told yeh, I don't want yeh watching. An yeh shouldn be down here anyway... if Fudge an Dumbledore catch yeh out without permission, Harry, yeh'll be in big trouble."

Cordelia saw that Hermione was crying and as she went to pick up a milk bottle she let out a shriek.

"Ron, I don't believe it— it's Scabbers!"

Ron gaped at her.

"Scabbers!" Said Ron. "Scabbers, what are you doing here?" Hagrid suddenly went white.

"They're comin..."

Hermione threw the Cloak over Harry, Ron, and Cordelia and they set off silently. They started up the lawn toward the castle. Ron stopped dead.

"Oh, please, Ron," Hermione began.

"It's Scabbers — he won't — stay put—"

"Oh Ron, please let's move, they're going to do it!" Cordelia breathed.

"Okay—Scabbers, stay put—"

They walked forward, only to be stopped by Ron once more.

"I can't hold him—Scabbers, shut up, everyone'll hear us—"

The rat was squealing like mad. There was a jumble of male voices and the swish and thus of an axe.

Hermione swayed on the spot and Cordelia put a hand on her shoulder to steady her.

"They did it!" She whispered. "I'd— I don't believe it— they did it!"

"Hagrid," Harry muttered and Cordelia and Ron grabbed his arms.

"We can't," said Ron. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

"How could they?" Hermione choked. "How could they?"

They set off back toward the castle again.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron hissed. The rat was wriggling. "What's the matter with you. You stupid rat? Stay still—OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron be quiet!" Hermione whispered. "Fudge'll be out any minute—"

"He won't— stay— put—"

"What's the matter with him?"

Crookshanks was slinking towards them.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione moaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

But the cat was getting nearer. "Scabbers—NO!"
Ron threw off the Cloak and raced after the rat.

"Ron!" Hermione moaned. Harry and Cordelia looked at each other and then Hermione and followed Ron at a sprint.