"I don't see why it matters." Sirius wrapped his arms around River's waist.

"Just give it a while, okay?" she suggested, Sirius rolled his eyes, agreeing all the while, and left to return her dress.

River was looking forward to this evening, even if she wasn't there under good circumstances, it would give her a slight bit of normality - being back at Hogwart's and all.

Her day dragged on, minutes felt like hours and hours felt like days, as she longed for the time she could begin getting ready. Sirius had offered to help her, which she instantly declined as they were in the presence of Remus - whom had sat awkwardly and silently for the whole day.

The time nearing 5pm, she decided to prepare. After a shower, she decided to apply some makeup; mascara, a little eyeliner, concealer, blush, and some lip gloss. Not used to doing her makeup often, this process took her a fair 45 minutes, after several mistakes and removals. Following this, she compiled her curls into an imperfect up-do which left several strands falling out and over her face. She then clipped the familiarity necklace that Bill had got her around her neck - leaving just the dress.

After squeezing herself into the stunning gown, she studied herself in her mirror. Her dress accentuating every curve on her upper half, the bottom flowing freely around her legs. She looked beautiful.

"Does it look as sexy as I thought it would?" Sirius called from outside of her room, pulling her out of her daydream. She approaches the door after putting her matching strappy heels that added a couple of inches to her height - to her disappointment, she was still no taller than Sirius.

"You tell me." River said as she opened the door, opening her arms so he could examine it fully.

Sirius jaw would have fallen off if it was possible, she was the most beautiful and angelic thing he had ever laid eyes upon. From the freckles that littered her face and body to the sequins that did the same to her dress. She grinned brightly as he looked at her.

Finally, something more beautiful than the moon and stars, he thought to himself, before the girl brought him back to reality.

"Do you not like it?" she began frowning, looking down at herself.

"No! No, it's absolutely amazing. It's perfect. Unbelievable, to be honest." he smiled. River spun in a circle, giving Sirius a full view of her outfit. "Merlins beard, your whole bloody backside is out!"

"Oh, piss off would you it's not that bad." River moaned, returning to the mirror and turning around to see her exposed back as the other side of her dress finished just below her ribcage. "Not that you have any say in the matter, but apart from a little back showing i'm practically fully covered."

"Whatever you say. Anyway Remus is waiting, best you be off." he said, before he brought her into an embrace and pressed his lips to hers delicately. "Don't see why I can't take you." he rolled his eyes.

"You know exactly why, if anyone sees you you'll have more aurors and dementors after you than you can count."

"Come on, it's been like 2 years since I escaped, they can't still be that bothered." he groaned, pulling an unimpressed face.

"You are aware that people still think you're an actual psychopath?"

"A sexy one though." Sirius winked and left the room, River grabbed her wand and followed.

Remus was waiting patiently at the door, looking at his feet, his hair pushed back and his scars highlighted by the dusty chandelier above.

He stared at the young girl for a moment, her light and beaming face contrasted drastically with the dark and dinginess of Sirius' home. "Are you- you ready?" he choked, flustered at the mere sight of her.

"When you are." she smiled brightly.

After a few minutes of Sirius winging about how she was being sent on a 'suicide mission', Remus and River were finally given a chance to leave when Kreacher had distracted Sirius by attempting to throw away his lucky sock (he then continued to practically scream at the house elf as this was apparently the sock he was wearing when he met James Potter - the oldest, however odd, item he had left).

After apparating to Hogsmeade, River and Remus stood in silence, waiting just outside the station where Cedric would collect her and they would be taken to the castle via the carriages.

"Why won't you talk to me?" River asked, not wanting the awkwardness to go on.

"Nothing to talk about really." he responded bluntly. River was attempting to keep her dress from touching the floor by holding it, but had now given up, allowing it to cover her feet, as she used her arms to try and maintain some body heat.

"I don't understand why you're acting-"

"River!" a voice called from just meters away. Both of them turned to see Cedric Diggory approaching them with a wide grin on his face. He was dressed in an all black suit, shirt and tie (the complete opposite to River's ivory dress) which only enhanced his already defined features. "Glad to see you made it."

"Pleasure to be here." she returned the smile.
Remus was now acting badly, pretending to be happy whilst greeting the younger boy and shaking hands.

"No need to hide it from me, Moody told me why your here - it's the least I could do since your mother- well- um" Cedric stuttered.

"I better get off. You two enjoy yourselves. I think Kingsley or Tonks is picking you up, River, so return here at 11." Remus interrupted, not even hesitating before apparating away before their eyes.

"What's his problem-"

"Don't even go there, I have no idea." River said, but Cedric brushed the elders unusual behaviour off.

Making small talk along the way, the pair made their way into a majestic carriage that was being pulled by a bony, winged creature which both River and Cedric could see.

"Can you see them?" he asked as the carriage began to hobble along.

"Yes. Can you?"

"Sadly."

"My mother I'm guessing?" she asked, refusing to look at him.

"Yes. I know I've apologised before, but I really am sorry. I wish there was something I could have done." he said, she smiled sadly in response, "How do you see them, the Thestrals?"

In all honesty, River didn't know. Ever since her third year when they started using the carriages, she had been able to see them when others couldn't. She had no memory of seeing anyone die, and she didn't really want to remember. It must have been an accident; someone must of passed away near by when she was younger - perhaps when she was in St Mungo's after she broke her leg, or just a passerby on the street.

But why would she want to remember a burden such as death? River would rather be unaware than remember such tragedy.

I know this wasn't a very exciting chapter but the next will be! :)

ps happy 61st birthday to remus john lupin
i love this man more than words can explain and it sounds silly but today i have not stopped crying lmao
poor teddy is 22 and has no memory of his father, today must be really hard for him :(