one- floo powder

hi and welcome to the first official chapter! somethings need to change for the story to take place so blaise and via's birthday is now august 1st. okay enjoy <3

-

Blaise threw open the door of my room and ran in, holding two letters. 

"They're here," he smiled.

I looked at the emerald ink writing, Via Zabini, printed on the front.

"What is this?"

"Our Hogwarts letters! Open it Via," Blaise urged. I tore open the envelope and read over my Hogwarts expectance letter. 

"We can finally get out of here," Blaise said. 

"Will she let us go?" I asked.

"If she's busy enough with Anthony Stone to not remember our birthday, I don't think she'll care if we go to school," Blaise said.

Blaise and I are each others best friends. We are also twins who share a common disliking of our mother. She is beautiful, elegant, and expensive, but she doesn't care for us. Blaise and I have spent the last eleven years taking care of each other as our mother moved from husband to husband, all mysteriously dying and her gaining their gold. Today is our eleventh birthday, but obviously our mother doesn't realize- or she doesn't care. She and her newest spouse, Anthony Stone, are getting married today.

We hate Anthony Stone.

"I can't wait for Hogwarts," Blaise said, lying on my bed. "I hope I get in Slytherin. I hope I meet new friends. I hope the teachers are nice." 

"I want to be a Gryffindor!" I exclaimed. Blaise stared at me.

"We're a Slytherin family. The Pure-bloods. You'd be upsetting the family if you get in a house like Gryffindor. And besides, Gryffindors are terrible compared to Slytherins," Blaise explained.

"I don't know how the houses work, I just heard Gryffindors are brave. I want to be brave like that- not that I'm already am."

"Slytherins are ambitious," Blaise said. "Don't you want to be cunning?"

"I already am too," I smirked.

"Than you'll be a Slytherin," Blaise declared, sitting up. "School starts September 1st. Until then, we need to go to Diagon Alley to get the things we need for Hogwarts."

"How are we supposed to get to Diagon Alley?" I asked.

"Mom's stash of Floo Powder," Blaise said, a smile appearing on his lips. 

We left my room and carried on to the end of the hallway, down the stairs, and to our mother's room. Our house was very dark, not only in color but in light too. Faint chandeliers lit the halls or staircases. Paintings of old family members or important people hung on the walls. I hoped I'd never be on the walls of a house like this. Blaise and I wanted to go as far away as we could from here. Think about more important things than blood status and if our mother would feed us that night. 

The house is filled with unhappy memories, always dragging you down. Like the one of many marble staircases we were heading down. I had sat and cried here too many times. 

Blaise acts tough and tries to protect me, but I've seen him cry on this staircase too. 

We slipped pass the kitchen where our mother and Stone were. They were giggling at each other, occupied enough to not see us sneak by. 

We rarely ever went into our mothers room because we weren't allowed to. I had been in twice, once to wake her up so she wouldn't be late, and once because I had fallen outside and cut myself. 

She look confused and maybe grateful into my eyes the first time (one of the only times we've made direct eye contact) before sending me out. The second time she shooed me away and told me to put a bandaid on it. Blaise had helped me limp up stairs to look for something to stop the current of blood. Later, I had found my furious mother in the drawing room because I had dripped a single drop of blood on her white carpet. 

I never went into her room again because I was too scared. I never fell again so I wouldn't get hurt. And on the rare occasion I did, I had learned to stitch it up myself. 

"Come on Via," Blaise was inside her room, and I was right outside the door. "She won't catch us, we will be fine."

"What if we knock something over?" I whispered. 

"Via," Blaise pulled me in. He had only been in her room once and it was while she was away. He had gone into it to see everything she kept in their, which is how we know about the Floo Powder. He had urged me to come inside too but I wouldn't.

"It's over here," Blaise explained. Her room was massive. The bed was in the middle of the farthest wall and was pure white. There was a dresser and shelving, storing valuable jewelry, clothes, and shoes. Dried flowers were in a empty vase, she clearly had not given it water. Palms sat around her room in different spots, dying too. Paintings of colored spots hung on the walls. Blaise reached up onto the highest shelf and felt around for the powder. I glanced around her room. In the corner, an easel stood with a half painted canvas.

"I didn't know she painted," I said, walking over to it.

"And I don't know her middle name," Blaise said. 

"Margret," I mumbled.

"You shouldn't know so much about a person who cares so little," he said, pulling down a few things from the shelf. 

"She's my mother."

"She supplies us with a home Via, what else?"

I blinked back some tears. I never cry but some times if it included my mother, I couldn't help it. I just always wanted a mother, and so I learned and I did everything I could to get a grasp on her life. I still don't know much. I'm not sure what color eyes she has anymore since it's been so long since I've seen her face to face.  

"Look at this," Blaise said. He was holding two papers, our birth certificates. I took a mental note of the painting, which was of her dying flowers and looked at the papers. 

Via Margret Zabini

Blaise Salazar Zabini

Although we aren't the heir to Salazar Slytherin, Blaise got his name. And I got my mother's. 

"You have her middle name?" Blaise asked.

"It's the only thing we have in common that I know of. I cherish it," I said.

"I hate her."

I looked at him, "You don't mean that-"

"Every time I think of her I get anger that she isn't part of our lives and then I get sad she isn't and then I get mad I ever felt bad about her. Why do you like her?"

"Don't like her. She is horrible. I just take in anything that is or was hers. I dunno, maybe I think- maybe it will bring us closer together," I said.

"Via, she doesn't know us and she doesn't want to," Blaise said. "We are her accessories."

"I know. That's what is so hard," I said. "But I've gotten used to it. I need to move on."

Blaise grabbed a pen from her desk and crossed out Margret on the birth certificate.

"What are you doing?! You can't just do that!" I exclaimed.

He handed me the pen. "Write you middle name above it." I wrote out each letter carefully.

"There," he smiled. "It's your middle name but it's not hers, its yours to make now."

I smiled and then laughed softly. He put the certificates back and grabbed the greenish-gray Floo Powder. 

"What is she finds it?" I asked. "The birth certificate." 

"She won't. But by the way, I'm keeping my middle name! Salazar... so cool." I rolled my eyes and he playfully punched my side, together leaving her room.

"Let's never go back in there again," I said once we were back upstairs and out of ear shot. 

"Defiantly," Blaise agreed. "Alright, now to Diagon Alley!"