prologue

December 7th, 1998

A blazing fire crackled and lit the room with its warm hue. I poured a pot of tea out into the expensive china cup. 

"You know, I don't think I've asked you this but, who are those people on the wall?" the House Elf peeped up, from the floor he was cleaning. 

I studied the picture he had referred too. A few young teens sat around a chair, laughing. A girl that looked like me was sitting right in the middle.

"I'm not sure," I mumbled. I touched the gold frame that surrounded it. "Is that me?" 

"Didn't you put it in here?" the House Elf asked.

"Probably, you know these past months have been a daze." I squinted at the photo. They were so happy, and so familiar. They wore robes of black and emerald green. A sudden knock at the grand front doors snapped me out of my concentration. 

"I can get it-" the elf started.

"No," I walked toward the door. "I wasn't excepting anyone..." I quickly unlocked the door and opened it slightly. It was night and the sky was dark, so I could hardly see the figure. 

"What do you want?" I questioned.

"Can I come in, Via?" they asked.

"How do you know my nam-" they pushed the door open and walked inside. They sat down on the couch, admiring my house. 

"Can I help you?" I stood in front of the person.

"Do you remember me?" it asked. It lifted its head up so the light from the fire shined on him. I carefully looked at his facial features. He had brown eyes and short black hair. A small beard was appearing on his chin. The more I looked at him, the more my head hurt. 

"What is your name?" I asked.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Oh, I asked what your name was," I repeated.

"No, Via, I'm sorry," he stood up but rose higher than me. He was tall. "It's me."

I stared into his eyes, tilted my head, hoping for something. "Blaise? Is that you?"

His lips curled upward slightly. "Yeah, yeah it's me."