5

The next morning, Cole stayed in bed. He barely slept. He stayed up most of the night crying, hoping that it had all been a dream. A stupid, cruel dream. Yet it hadn't. And no matter how long he watched the analogue clock on his desk, nothing changed. His heart still ached. His eyes still filled with tears. His hands still shook. 

He felt so alone.

Whilst all his other teammates and friends were in the main room, probably eating breakfast together, Cole was led there alone. In pain. He hadn't been in this much pain since he lost his mother and that... that was the worst time in his life. He'd never felt so low. 

Laying in bed made him think way more than he should have. The warmth his duvet and blanket  were providing him did make him feel a little better but not all that much. It wasn't enough. He needed to feel the warmth of someone else; someone he loved. 

It reminded him of how his mother used to hug him. She used to give the best hugs. She used to kiss him on the forehead and tell him everything was going to be okay. He longed for someone to do it again. He'd always longed for someone to hug him just like she did. Maybe that was why he'd grown so attached to Jay right from the beginning. Maybe it was because he made him feel safe just like his mom did. 

All he needed right now was a hug. He wanted his mom to come into the room and tell him it would all be okay in the end. But she wouldn't. She was dead.

Cole couldn't understand why he was still there. He couldn't understand why the universe hadn't taken him away yet. He had no reason to live anymore. He had no one. He'd hurt too many people.

Knock knock

Cole frowned and glanced over at his bedroom door. He wiped the tears from his eyes and pushed himself up onto his arm. He stayed there in silence, hoping he'd heard things.

Knock knock

Someone was there. Whoever it was, he really wasn't in the mood for talking. 

"Cole?" A high-pitched male voice spoke.

The earth ninja groaned and flopped back down on the bed, his head in his pillow. His eyes began filling with tears again as the person's voice played through his head.

"Can I come in?" They asked.

"Go away," Cole called out.

And of course, it was the one and only Jay Walker. The one person he was avoiding obviously turned up at his door. It always happened. 

"What? Why?" he questioned.

"I'm sleeping," Cole groaned.

"Oh okay, sorry to bother you," Jay replied, "I'll come back later."

Cole felt awful. He didn't mean to be so horrible to him but he couldn't help it. His brain was taking control. But then again, why would Jay need Cole when he had Nya, right? 

"Actually, it's kind of important," Jay's voice spoke up again.

Cole groaned again, his heart pounding in his chest. He felt his muscles tense up and his throat closing in. Why wouldn't Jay just leave already?

"Um... so... Nya and I are back together," he sounded excited.

That was it. 

He couldn't take it anymore.

Why had Jay come to tell Cole about how happy he was about he and Nya getting back together? Why would he do that?

Jay knew exactly how Cole felt about him and yet he still decided to do stupid shit like this. He still decided to tell him all about it.