“I already tried in there. He has terrible taste in music, but you…you and I have the potential to get along just fine,” he smiled. 

“I see you like Nirvana,” I said, propping my head up with my hands. 

“Kurt Cobain really. He’s inspirational,” he explained and sat on my bed beside me. 

“I heard you talking to my father. Something about how this works is filthy and a horror show?” I started. 

“It is,” he stated simply. 

“I agree,” I said then rolled onto my back and looked up at the ceiling, feeling him do the same. “If you stand out the slightest t you’re treated differently until the point where you break. Sometimes you can break more then once. But I mean…this world is just horrible,” I vented. 

“Yeah…it is,” he said. 

“Why are you seeing my dad?”

“Just some dreams I’ve been having. What about you? Do you have to see anyone?” he inquired. 

“I used to, but it wasn’t helping so my parents pulled me out,” I told him, I’m not sure why but I did. 

He seemed normal enough to me, but then again he was seeing my father so he had to be pretty fucked in the head for that. Tate seemed different to me, like he understand what it’s like for me. 

“I’m sorry about walking in the other day,” he piped up. 

“Don’t sweat it,” I said with a small smile on my lips. 

“I used to do it too,” he told me. 

“Why?” I asked but my door burst open. 

“What are you doing in here?” dad asked, obviously directed at Tate. 

We both sat up, “I went to use the bathroom but I ended up talking to Scout here,” Tate smiled, a certain amusement gleaming in his eyes. 

“You need to leave,” dad told him. 

“But we have a session,” Tate told him. 

Dad seemed mad, “then come down for our session and leave immediately after,” he said then dragged Tate out by his forearm. 

“Nice talking to you,” Tate told me. 

“To you, also,” I told him with a small smile. 

“Scout’s got a boyfriend,” Dom teased and stood at my door. 

“Piss off blockhead,” I ordered. 

“Awe, is little Scout embarrassed?” he burlesqued. 

“I sweat to god, if you don’t leave I will make you bleed,” I threatened. 

“Ok,ok,” he said, putting his hands up in defeat then walked away. 

I shut my bedroom door, pulling out my rag and blades. I sat against my bedroom door as I released. I’d thrown my jacket onto the floor along with my shoes because I didn’t really feel like putting them away. Once I was done and the blood had stopped running I put everything away and went stairs to get something to eat. 

I took a banana out of the fruit bowl on the bench and opened it. I took two bites before I heard footsteps and voices. I saw Tate and my father pass. When Tate looked at me we locked gazes and I tried to eat my banana as seductively as possible. I watched him chuckle before smiling brightly. 

“C’mon,” my dad said then dragged him along.  I rolled my eyes before hearing my dad storm back in, “I don’t want you hanging around him,” he told me.

“Believe it or not, Tate and I are actually starting to become friends,” I told him, starting to get angry. 

“No you are not,” he said. 

“Yes we are. You think you know him but you don’t,” I said, standing up. 

“Well neither do you. He’s dangerous Scout. He could hurt you,” he said then stepped forward. 

“Right. Because I can’t handle myself. Thanks dad. Thanks for the confidence in my capabilities,” I said then threw my banana peel in the bin and stormed out. 

“I’m just trying to protect you,” he told me. 

“I don’t need your protecting anymore. I’m almost eighteen. I can protect myself,” I told him the started up the stairs. 

“You need to stop treating them like shit. If you do then they won’t help you when you need them,” Dom said but I just barged past. 

I leant back against my bed frame but felt something grab my ankle. I squealed and jumped back. I watched Adelaide crawl out from under my bed. 

“Adelaide! How the hell did you get into my room?” I asked loudly. 

“Are you alright?” mum asked after she and dad had burst into my room. 

“I’m fine. Adelaide just gave me a fright is all,” I explained. 

“Adelaide, how did you get in here?” mum asked. 

She didn’t answer, just smiled at us, “come on Addi. Follow me,” I said then lead her out. 

When we got down stairs we saw Constance was already there, “you’re going to die in here,” Adelaide told us. 

“Adelaide!” Constance scolded. “Adelaide. I put that “Dora the Explorer” on for you so you would sit and watch it”

“It was “Go Diego Go.” I don’t like it,” Addi told her. 

“Brown cartoon characters -- you can’t tell the difference,” Constance said with a smile. “Go home Addy. Now!”

“That girl is a monster. I love her and I’m a good Christian but Jesus H. Christ, if they’d invented some of those tests a few years earlier…” Constance explained after Adelaide stormed out. 

“How did you get in my house?” mum asked her. 

“You left your back door open, though I have to warn you Addy seems to always find a way in. She’s got a bug up her ass for this place, always has,” she told us with her hands together. 

“I like it,” I told her. 

“Look, it’s very nice seeing you again but I wasn’t really prepared for company,” mum told her, quite rudely if I may add. 

“I’m gone. Brought this for you, housewarming. I meant to bring it around yesterday but forgot. Addy wanted to cook you a pie but she tends to spit in the cooking so I figured this was better -- should help you get rid of some of the bad ju-ju,” she said then handed mum the box. “Those homosexual boys were nice enough and I say live and let live, but I can’t help but think that that lifestyle drove them to do what they did. Anyway, enjoy, relax, let me know if you need help with your pup. Glad you’re getting rid of that wallpaper. Thought those people were supposed to be stylish,” she said then left. 

Mum gave me a look and I knew she was about to say something to me but decided against it. I shrugged to myself then walked back up to my room.