CHAPTER 33 (FINAL)

-14 years later-

“Mum! Where’s my jacket!?”.

“Mum! I can’t find my shoes!”.

Freaking hell, these kids can’t do anything themselves! I speed walked into Zach’s room and found him throwing his clothes all around the room. His blonde hair now tossled on how many times he’s ran his fingers through it. He was now taller than me, getting his height from his father who should be here helping me.

“Mum!”, the other child called, soon coming into the room. He only reached my waist, already grabbing on to my shirt. “I can’t find my shoes!”.

“Hey Mum’s helping me first!”, Zach called back, pointing a finger at his younger brother.

“Dad! Mum won’t help me!”, the younger boy ran off to somewhere else in the house. I rolled my eyes, before grabbing Zach’s jacket off the bed.

“It’s here”, I stated simply, making him whirl around and grin, making him look like Newt.

“Thanks Mum! You’re the best!”, he cheered before pressing a kiss on to my cheek, before running out the room, leaving me to clean up. I sighed, before picking up all his shirts and trousers that he’s left.

Once I finished, someone came into the room and stood near the doorway. I turned my head to see Newt standing there, a sneaky grin on his face.

“Where the hell have you been?”, I said to him, glaring at his tall figure.

“I had to help Tommy with somethin’”, Newt said with a shrug.

“That’s no excuse to leave me to take care of the boys”, I said before standing up straight.

“I helped Kyle find his shoes”, Newt stated, a proud smile on his face.

“Yeah well I had to clean up Zach’s mess of clothes”, I said with a huff.

“Awww does someone need a hug?”, Newt asked while opening his arms widely. I rolled my eyes again before walking over and wrapping my arms around his middle, pressing my cheek against his chest. His long arms wrapped around my small frame and hugged me tightly. I felt a little bit of the stress come off of my shoulder, making me sigh in relief.

“Mum! I’m going now!”.

I pulled away from Newt and he chuckled once he saw my annoyed face once again. Zach is seeing this girl in the Glade and he’s wanted to go see her non-stop. I mean, he was 16 now, so I guess he should be doing that kind of stuff. But it gets a little too much sometimes.

“Okay! Be back before 9!”, I called out, and I heard the door close.

“Remember when he used to sneak out the house to go see Gally?”, Newt joked. “Now he’s sneakin’ out to go see his daughter”.

I couldn’t help but crack a smile, before Kyle came back into the room with his shoes on and ready to go out. He was only six at the moment, but he was eager to go to school every day. Yup, we had a second child. Once Zach had grown up to be about 10 years old, Newt persuaded me to have another child. And it turned out to be another boy. Kyle turned out to look more like me this time. His hair was blonde, but was the slightest bit brown from my genes.

“Ready to go?”, I asked Kyle while squatting down in front of him. He grinned and nodded.

“Then let’s go”, Newt said before he took Kyle’s small hand, and we all went walking out the house.

When Zach turned 7, the builders had given each family a house of their own. Small houses, not the size of the Homestead, but big enough for us. The Homestead was used for the older people, the ones that needed more attention from Med-jacks. Brenda still worked there, but occasionally took time off since she had Juliet to take care of.

When Newt, Kyle and I were walking across the Glade to the school nearby, we passed by Minho and Taylor with their two babies. One girl, one boy, both twins. They were only a year old, but they were absolutely adorable.

“Hey Minho, Taylor”, I called out, and the couple looked up. They both smiled and walked over, each carrying one of their children.

“Hey guys, goin’ to school?”, Minho asked and smiled down at Kyle.

“Yup, Zach already left to meet up with Gally’s daughter, Crystal”, Newt stated, making the two grin.

“He sure likes that girl huh?”, Taylor said, making Newt and I nod.

“How’s Nina and Ethan doing?”, I asked while looking down at the two babies.

Yup, they named the girl twin after my real name. No one ever called me it, but Minho wanted to commemorate one of his children after me. Sweet, but a little weird.

“They’re fine, not sleepin’ much though”, Minho said, the tired look in his eyes glistening brightly.

“You’ll get used to that”, Newt said, a chuckle following after. Minho rolled his eyes, before Taylor said they needed to go.

“See you guys later”, I said before we continued walking to the school.

“Is Uncle Minho gonna let me see Nina and Ethan after school?”, Kyle asked while looking up at Newt specifically.

“Maybe, we’ll see okay?”, Newt said and Kyle nodded, before we stopped in front of the school.

The school was run by a nice middle aged lady. She was the one who thought up the idea of the school. She loved kids, especially Kyle. There was a primary school, and a high school which Zach went to currently. The society of the Glade was slowly evolving, making life a little easier for everyone.

“Be good today okay?”, I said while squatting in front of Zach again.

“I will”, he stated, his brown eyes gleaming brightly.

“We’ll pick you up after school”, I stated, before Kyle nodded and I stood back up.

“Bye Mum”, he hugged my waist, before turning to Newt and doing the same. “Bye Dad”.

He then turned around and ran through the door of the school, disappearing with the hood of his jumper waving around. I smiled unconsciously, before another girl ran in after him, catching my attention. She had long black hair and brown eyes, her features reminding me all too well of my brother. I turned my head and saw Thomas and Brenda, standing there while smiling as well.

“Thomas, Brenda”, I called, making them turn their heads and grin at the sight of us.

“Mick, you came to drop off Kyle right?”, Thomas asked and I nodded.

“Is Juliet still as excited to be goin’ to school just like Kyle?”, Newt asked and the two nodded.

“She loves school. Even though she’s like 13, she adores it. She says that Zach always stands up for her”, Brenda said. “Tell him that we’re thankful”.

“We will”, I replied before turning back to look at the other children going into the school. Newt wrapped his arm around my waist, pressing me against his side. I smiled and laid my head on his shoulder which I was only barely able to reach.

We’ve come so far. We may not remember what happened to us before the Maze, but I don’t think it really matters right now. We’re happy. No one is to bother us anymore. Evolving a friendship from the Maze, Scorch and Denver. I grew a family with Thomas, and a relationship with Newt. We able to make a family and be happy.

Happy together, in paradise.

THE END