different (9)

warnings: abuse

nick pov

okay, so, heres the thing about my dad. hes different. all the time. many different moods, he can go from sweet one minute, to punching holes in our walls the next. 

2 years ago

i got home from school and go straight upstairs. my dad is laying on the couch with a beer bottle in hand, passed out. i went to go back downstairs after awhile to get some food since i havent eaten all day. before i fully go down the steps, i check to see if my dad is awake.

hes still asleep. thank god

i quietly sneak down the steps and slowly walk into the kitchen. i open the fridge and find some things to make a peanut butter and jelly, which is a normal dinner for me anyways. as im making it i heaf a shuffle on the couch and footsteps walking towards me.

"why are you eating without my permission, son?"
"i- im sorry dad im just really hungry and i havent eaten all day"

he walks closer to me and pushes me up against a wall nearby. punches are hitting my face and i feel the blood trickling down my mouth. punch after punch.

"GOD DAMNIT NICK HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU, YOU CANT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT MY PERMISSION."

tears start to form in my eyes and i run up to my room and slam the door.

"DONT YOU BE SLAMMING DOORS IN MY HOUSE NICK, ILL HAVE YOU BEAT"

i get my backpack and stuff it with things i would need for the next week.

i hop out my window and jog over to clays house, and knock on his door. maddie opens it and says,

"oh my god nick, what happened"
"it was my dad again..."

she pulls me into a hug and i cry into her shoulders.

"its okay nick, its okay. go upstairs to clays room and ill get you ice"

i run upstairs and go into clays room and he looks up at me and his eyes widen. he knows exactly why my face is bruising, i can tell. he invites me to sit on the bed with him and i do. a couple minutes later maddie comes up with an ice pack and we put it on my face.

time skip

about two weeks later i decide to go back home. everything that just happened ends up repeating about once a month. my dad beats me, i go to clays, then go back home a couple of weeks later.

this doesnt happen too much anymore, but when i turn 18 im for sure moving out. i dont think i can handle it much longer. about one year ago, i was diagnosed with depression. some days are great, but some days i want to end it all. im tired of my dad, he makes my life miserable. clay is the only one that knows about my depression and he has been here for me every step of the way.

this chapter is to see what nicks life looks like in not only the past, but the present.

word count: 529