Chapter 9

I woke up curled up next to Shane, his arms wrapped around my chest making sure I couldn't move away. I looked up at his face as his eyes fluttered open, I always loved his soft brown eyes, they always comforted me. "Morning sweetie." I whispered as I placed a kiss on his lips. "Mornin' Kat, sleep well?" he asked kissing me back. I nodded into our kiss and Shane smiled. We pulled away and decided to go join everyone else for breakfast. We got ourselves dressed and then Shane dressed Jason. Shane threw Jason on to his hip, took my hand and we walked into the kitchen. "Mornin'." Rick said as we walked in, "mornin' bro." I replied as Shane went to make some coffee. At that moment the Dixons walked in, Cody carrying Ryder and Hunter keeping close to Daryl. His little blue eyes met mine and he smiled at me. I smiled back as I took a seat next to Shane and Jason. Jenner walked in, grabbed a cup of coffee an stood in the corner just like he did the night before. "Doctor, I don't mean to pound you with questions first thing." said Dale, "but you will anyway." replied Jenner puuting his coffee down. "We didn't come here for the eggs." said Andrea turning round to face Jenner.

We followed Jenner into Zone 5, "Vi, load TS-19." Jenner said to the computer and the internal scan of a brain showed up on the big screen. The playback began showing the inside of the brain, all the electric impluses that made you a human being and I felt like I was back in medical school. "What are all those lights?" Shane asked pulling Jason closer to his side. "Those are electrical impulses, they are what make you, you." replied Jenner, "I was right and I didn't pass that exam first time." I thought to myself. A smile must have crept on to my face because Shane was smiling at me. "Vi fast forward to the second event." Jenner commanded and the comupter fast forwarded to when the brain started dying. "Is this someone's death?" Andrea asked and Jenner nodded. I shuddered and gripped Shane's hand. The person died but a red spark began forming at the base of the brain, "it brings back the brain." exclaimed Lori. "No just the brain stem." replied Jenner. "It invades the brain like meningitis." I said causing my husband to smile and nod. "That's ma girl." he said gripping my shoulder.

Suddenly a flash went through the brain and the body stopped moving. "What happened?" Cody asked, "he killed his patient, didn't you?" Andrea asked and Jenner looked down. "Vi, power down the big screen and the work stations." said Jenner, Vi did that but Dale wasn't done with questions. "Doctor, I hate to ask one more question but that clock. It's counting down. What happens when it hits zero?" Dale asked and Jenner clamed up. "The basement generators... they run out of fuel." he replied, "and then?" Rick asked as Jenner brushed by him. "Vi, what happens when the power runs out?" Rick asked the computer. "Facility wide decontamination will occur." Vi replied. Shane, Rick, T-Dog and Glenn disappeared down to the basement to check the generators whilst the rest of us went to our rooms. Lori took Jason for me giving me a chance to talk to Daryl. I jogged down to his room, knocked on the door and waited for a response. Eventually he opened the door, "are the boys there?" I asked. "No, Cody took them down to the wreck room, why?" he asked confused. "We need to talk." I said and he let me in.

I sat on one of the couches and Daryl sat beside me. His hand slightly touching mine but I didn't bother. "What's up Kit-Kat?" he asked, "your douchebag of a brother told our son that I didn't care about him or Ryder or you that I just left because of Shane." I snapped accidentally. Daryl sat in silence for a moment before gripping my hand. "Kat, do you care about us?" Daryl asked. I wanted to cry, even Daryl was convinced I didn't want anything to do with them when in actually fact I did. "Daryl, I care about you and the boys more than you think but do you care about me?" I asked. He looked stunned by my response but kissed my cheek. "I care about you, Jason and Shane. Your family as far as I'm concerned, that's why if you, Jason or Shane were in trouble I'd help." Daryl replied. I flung my arms around Daryl's neck and hugged him. "Thank you Daryl." I said into his neck. He hugged me back, "no problem Kat." he whispered back. Suddenly the lights cut out and the AC stopped. "Oh for fuck sake, what now?" I said pulling back and opening the door. We stuck our heads out into the corridor as Jenner marched down. "Why's everythin' goin' off?" Daryl asked, "momma!" Jason shouted running towards me. I threw him onto my hip and held his head close to my shoulder.