The Children of the E's

Lucy had always hated her given name since the day she was born. All of her siblings had different and beautiful names. Her name was just plain. So many other young ladies had the same name, so she decided she would change it. No one could ever love someone name Eluise. It wasn't even spelled correctly. How her mother and father could do such a thing to her, she could not fathom. One day, her brother Edvard called to her. "Lu! Come here Lu!" She quickly ran to him. She couldn't have been more than 10. "Do not call me that brother. I do not like it." Edvard smiled at her. "You do not like Eluise either. To what should I call you?" "Call me what you wish brother," she said. "Since you do not like Lu, how do you fancy Lucy?" Eluise thought on it, and admitted it did not sound so bad. "I think I agree with it brother." From then on, he always called her Lucy. Her family eventually picked followed and so it became. Lucy LeStrange was from then on, a different person. She always admired Edvard for that.

He gave her a separate identity to go along with her spirit. For years now, there was something that she kept hidden from the world. She hid it quite well and she was proud of it. Until her brother met Miss Emily Bailey. She knew then, that her life would never be the same. Edvard did not know it, but Emily was the reason Lucy knew of her powers. Emily was a witch. A daughter of the moon. Her powers only arose the strongest at night, and in the full moon.

Edvard was engaged to be married to Emily and she was as beautiful in the dark as in the light. Her skin seemed to glow in the luminous moon. Lucy was walking in the garden one night at a ball when she happened upon Emily in a dark corner. She seen something glowing out of the corner of her eye and crept closer to get a better look. She heard humming and whispering and grew even more curious. As she inched closer she could barely make out what she heard. "Mother of the light, light in the night, cover me in your lume, protect me and keep me from those that assume. Take this power as you see, and cover me under it, as you may see!" Emily repeated this three times and her glow began to dissipate. "I know you are there," Emily began. "Do not be afraid, I will not hurt you." She grabbed Lucy by the wrist and pulled her around to the corner where she was hiding.

"What did you see?" she asked Lucy. "I saw a light and heard you whispering, then it was gone. What are you?" Lucy asked her. To Emily's chagrin, she knew she had been caught. She tried her best not to glow under the moon, but she was caught off-guard with all the excitement from the ball, she forgot to say her words. Lucy now knew what she was, and after a little persuasion, she told Lucy that she could tell her what her own power was. Lucy did not believe her, but she was curious. She did not have any power. She was an ordinary girl.

"You have the power of love," Emily began. "It radiates out from your skin. You are red all around. You glow too, just in a different way. Only those of us with powers can see another's glow." "The power of love?" Lucy asked. "Yes, do you see how your brother fond's over you? It is because you have wished it so. You want him to love you so much, that you have doubled his love for you." "I did no such thing," Lucy said. "You do not do it, you wish it." Emily was fairly certain that this was her power. She had seen it once before in another. "How do I wish it?" she asked. "You feel it in your mind, as well as your heart, then all you have to do, is speak it." Lucy did not believe her. "How are you so certain?" she asked Emily. "Because I too, have that power," she said as she looked into Emily's eyes.