Chapter 26: Visitor in the Parlor

Start from the beginning

"Miss Stacy!" I called out.

She turned, smiling at all of us.

We all rushed down, embracing her.

"I've missed you Miss Stacy!"

"We miss you!"

She laughed.

"Girls, girls, I'm sure your new teachers are perfectly acceptable. How are you all?" She asked, not making eye contact with me. My heart sank.

"Oh you would not believe what the new teacher told me, he-!" Anne began going off on an upset tangent. Personally, I couldn't take my eyes off Muriel. It had been so long since I'd seen her, at least two months If not more.

"Well, I'm sure he'll warm up. How about the rest of you?" She asked. Everyone told her stories, and she laughed.

"Well, do you guys want to show me your rooms?" She asked.

We all nodded. Taking her upstairs to see.

We all grabbed our things from Anne's room and went back to our own.

After awhile there was a knock.

"Come in!" Josie said.

Muriel entered, smiling at me.

"It's your turn for a room tour," she said. I smiled, getting up from my desk to show her everything.

"I have some of my art stuff In this corner for whenever I get bored. My books are right here on my nightstand," I told her before pointing out some other stuff we'd decorated our room with.

"Very nice, I-"

"Sorry Miss Stacy I'll be back, I need to ask Anne about the homework before I forget," Josie said, taking her papers and leaving the room. She closed the door behind her.

Muriel and I were alone.

She waited a moment before rushing towards me, hugging me and keeping me close.

"I'm so very sorry for acting distant out there. I just didn't want to seem too-"

"I know, Muriel, I know. I'm just happy to see you," I said, cupping her cheek.

"Would you let me kiss you? I don't know if I'll get the chance again," she whispered. I nodded, swallowing in nervous preparation.

She placed on hand on my cheek and the other on my waist, her eyes mapping out my face before kissing me.

I let my hands fall to her shoulders, holding them as her lips moved against mine. I kissed back, desperate for her taste. Her hands moved to my waist, and we broke apart for a second, regaining our breath before kissing once more.

"I miss you," she said when we broke apart again.

"I'm so miserable without you here. Letters soothe the pain but only temporarily," I told her, sighing and taking my hand in hers as we sat on the bed together.

"I wish there was a way I could- be here. Unfortunately I've got a new class to teach, as you're aware. I'll try and write longer letters, if it helps at all," she said, sighing and looking over at me apologetically.

I kissed her gently one more time, and then motioned for her to get up because I heard Josie's footsteps.

"So yeah, that's about it," I told her.

"Lovely room, I like the light in here," she said, opening the curtains and smiling.

"It's nice. Who's room is left?" I asked.