Chapter 14: Dance Practice

We walked through the woods, and Gil and I listened to Miss Stacy intently.

It seemed that he and I were the only ones actually listening besides Anne.

"If you wish to see the efficiency of Mother Nature, just look up at the trees!" She said, and we all did so, seeing the small gaps between each tree.

"This phenomenon is known as crown shyness, which in tree terms basically means- no touching!" She finished, turning and seeing two of the boys helping Tillie.

They moved away, and I sighed, wishing my classmates would do something besides flirt for once.

"However, this isn't just something we see in trees, we see it all across nature, even with birds and bees," she said.

"The birds and the bees?" Tillie said nervously.

Miss Stacy sighed awkwardly.

"The bee collects pollen and nectar to feed the hive and create honey. The flower receives pollen, which it needs to bear fruit," Miss Stacy said.

"I thought we were gonna learn about the real birds and bees," Jane said, crossing her arms.

I was curious too, if I was honest. Because I didn't have a mother I wasn't really sure who would talk to me. It seemed that even the people with mothers were being neglected in that aspect.

"I assure you, the lesson will be illuminating all the same," Miss Stacy replied, having overheard her.

"And then we have the birds, take the red breasted nuthatch," she said, and everyone laughed, snickering. Even I smiled, because I had to admit, it was a pretty funny name.

"It's main source of food is the spruce budworm, which is a conifer pest. So while the redbreast-"

More laughing.

"While the bird," she continued, "gets its food, the tree gets its much needed pest relief, which brings me to the conclusion of today's lesson," she stated, getting cut off.

"Mating season?" One of the boys said, most of us groaned in disgust, I merely rolled my eyes.

Suddenly, Moody, who was climbing on the rocks, slipped.

He screamed out, and Miss Stacy picked up her skirts, rushing over. Gilbert and I hurried over, and everyone crowded around him.

"Moody!"

There was talking and yelling.

Gil pulled down his sock, and because I'd always been squeamish with blood, I felt myself go lightheaded and faint.

In the small consciousness that remained, I heard Ruby scream too, and then another voice I didn't recognize.

"We are surrounded by savages!"

I wondered what in god's name was going on.

Everything passed in a blur, and I felt myself being lifted.

There was a cloth at my forehead, and soft hands that I recognized.

As I regained some sort of consciousness, I felt a cold mental hit my lips.

I blinked a few times, opening my eyes and seeing Miss Stacy in front of me. She raised the spoon a little, and I took it in my mouth, realizing the taste as honey. I licked my lips clear of the honey, and she handed it back to Gil.

I then saw Aluk, and the tribes medicine woman.

I got up, brushing off my skirt before going to greet them. In the time I'd spent tutoring Ka'kwet, I'd learned some of their language too.