Chapter 18: What Is Fair

I sighed as Gilbert and I took our seats at church.

"I like the article. I'm sure Miss Stacy will be happy with it too," Gil said, handing me the newspaper. I'd gone through and written about the food at the county fair. I was glad to be of some use.

I turned the page, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Gil?" I asked.

He looked over, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Oh dear..." he muttered, and we read through Anne's article, discussing women and women's rights. Anne had always been a firm believer in equality, but publishing this after last weeks events had nothing to do with women's rights, it had to do with Josie Pye and Billy Andrews.

She could say it was about women's rights, but everyone knew what had gone on at the barn dance, and this was not a coincidence.

As more people showed up, murmurs began. "Dear god," I muttered, sighing and putting my hand in Gil's.

Small arguments evolved, and it was the loudest the church had ever been.

The door opened, and I looked back, seeing Miss Stacy in a yellow plaid dress.

She sat down besides Gil and I.

"What is going on?" She asked.

I handed her the paper.

"Oh dear," she muttered, reading through it.

Josie ran out, crying.

"Why didn't you talk some sense into our flame headed robespierre?" She said through gritted teeth.

"We didn't know," I said softly, sighing.

"She went rogue," Gilbert finished, shaking his head and looking forward.

"This is a newspaper, not a bully pulpit," Harmon Andrews directed it at Miss Stacy.

"Miss Stacy was unaware of these actions, in fact, the whole newspaper team was. None of us were informed by Miss Cuthbert of this article, so don't blame Miss Stacy," I defended. She gently touched my arm.

"Nevertheless, a conversation will be had," she assured him. He sighed, turning away.

She gave my hand a reassuring squeeze, as if thanking me for defending her. I was sure she was in a tough position as our teacher currently, so it was the least I could do.

"Would you all turn your attention to today's required reading?" The minister commanded.

I sighed. Oh Anne Shirley Cuthbert. The good intentioned girl who could never seem to do things right.

It was a lesson. As wrong as it was, it was nobody else's business. Anne could not single handedly fix things, and she would learn that the hard way with this.

—————

"She shouldn't have written about it!"

"It's not like she actually did anything against the rules!"

The whole class was yelling, and Anne sat there in silence.

Miss Stacy tried to get everyone's attention. To no avail.

I stuck my fingers in my mouth, whistling.

Everyone went quiet.

"Thank you. Now, I believe we've yelled enough about the incident. How would you like to proceed? My first recommendation is to talk at a level that won't cause deafness," Miss Stacy said, her hands on her hips.