Painful Poison

Alina

I stood beside Lexa along with the rest of my people, fresh smells of all sorts of roasted food triggered my senses. Candles dimly illuminated the dining hall, reflecting its lights onto the faded walls. The long table acted as a border between Skaikru and Trikru, I fiddled with my hands as I waited for the rest of Skaikru to arrive. The captivating orange of flames flickered from the chandelier, I kept my gaze on Lincoln as he uncomfortably stood on the side of Skaikru. I watched as Octavia sent him a reassuring glance, reminding me of the good times. I shook my head lightly to myself hiding the smile that had attached itself to the corner of my lips. As soon as I was about to ask Lexa, footsteps grew louder and louder. Soon Clarke walked into the dining hall with a forced smile on her lips, the rest of Skaikru soon followed. She walked past the patchy metal chairs and stood in front of Lexa. Her mother followed close behind, more and more people started to enter, flooding the room with strangers.

I bit my lip and slightly looked down at the sight of him walking into the hall. His hesitant glance scanned the room, luckily his gaze still hasn't met mine yet. I looked up once again to meet his gaze, but a knife seemed to have lodged itself in my chest as he looked away and avoided mine. This is good, if anything it's my fault. I observed as he kept his gaze down at the table, Skaikru started to stand in front of seats. The familiar man from the tent the night Finn died stood beside Clarke, with his hands on a bottle wrapped in ragged cloth. Clarke smiled up at Lexa and me as I returned it. Taking a deep breath I fixed my posture and prepared for this to start.

"Please accept this gift, Commander. We drink this on special occasions I believe this qualifies," the man smiled. Who is he? Why is his voice so familiar? He hesitantly handed Lexa the bottle. Lexa's expressions stood unfazed but nodded at Gustus, who reluctantly took the bottle. Bellamy's gaze followed the man and soon landed on me. His brows were furrowed, almost a glare. Clarke soon had picked up on the detail and sent him a confused look, which he ignored. I looked away for a split second, but then immediately back at Clarke and the man.

"Thank you, Marcus, of the sky people," Lexa's voice broke me from my gaze. She turned to me, and I returned with a nod.

"You're welcome," he returned with a slight grin, "Lexa." His eyes looked around in a bit of panic, but slowly he recollected himself and finished, "kom Trikru, of Trikru." I nodded in approval allowing myself to smile, which Lexa followed.

"Just uh," the man continued, "don't drink too much of it." He had a playful tone, earning a chuckle from me. Alcohol is great. Lexa looked up in thought and lightly tapped my arm, hinting at me to recollect myself. I let out a small cough and nodded, standing back straight again restoring the serious expression.

"Clarke," Lexa started, turning her sight back to the blond, "let us drink together." I nodded in agreement.

"It. It would be my pleasure," she smiled. I returned the expression as one of us bought three goblets and handed them to Gustus. He placed them down with a suspicious gaze. Clarke's gaze has been flickering back and forth which I would admit is a bit concerning, but I tried to ignore it and took the bottle from Lexa who was handing it to me. I opened it while Lexa kept her intimidating gaze. I watched as the liquid poured from the bottle into the metal goblets. Lifting one up, I handed it to Clarke, then taking the other two giving one to Lexa.

"Sonheda no. En Heda, allow me," Gustus interrupted, making the smile drop dead from Clarke's lips. I placed my goblet down back on the table, maybe he was right, can't be too safe down here. My eyes followed Gustus as he lifted the goblet to his lips. Then he took a sip while maintaining the glare at Clarke. Everyone in the room waited for a second as the suspense piled up. Talk about awkward silence. No one dared to make a sound, the people on my side held curiosity and hate in their eyes, while Skaikru seemed nervous and a bit scared. After what felt like a million years, he had given me and Lexa a short nod, causing the smile to return to Clarke's lips. I let out the breath I had subconsciously been holding in. Gustus handed the goblet back to Lexa who had taken it without question, I followed and picked mine up once again.