Kai shook her head. "You really don't have to—"

"It's going to spoil if you don't take it." He shrugged. "I'll just have to throw it out."

Kai could tell he wasn't going to let her leave without it.

And she sighed inwardly: That day at Freshman Olympics... it was heartbreaking enough to watch those 200 cartons of eggs tossed onto the grass! This college--is full of people who waste food without a second thought!

So Kai took the shiny present from, him with both hands.

Tom watched her through half-closed eyes... for a moment she thought he was asleep...

But out of the blue, he said: "You should come out for dinner with me. My treat—

"—I have a feeling... we're a good fit"

A good fit...?

Was he talking about ... a date?

Tom stood up and moved behind her chair.

And then, without warning, he bent down, so his head was just three inches away from hers. Like a hunting cat sinking its head into tall grass. In a low voice right next to her ear, he said—

"What do you think of this place...?"

Kai could feel his breath. She leaned aside. Put more space between them.

There are no plants.... she thought.... Then she scolded herself, Why does that matter!?  

Still, the place would feel a lot better... if it had just a single green leafy friend of some kind!

"It's very, um, striking," she managed.

Abruptly, Tom stood up. Walked over to adjust a part of the chandelier overhead. "We had an Italian architect do customized millwork. Floors downstairs are Carrera marble."

Kai stared at him dazed. I understand about 20% of what's coming out of this man's mouth.

Tom continued, "It's going to be a special club. For networking. Kingmaking..."

"...In twenty years, we're going to have a Crown Club member in the cabinet of every developed nation and on the board of every major international company."

This strange, ambitious student with the gleaming eyes watched her. Then he smiled, and stood up. Adjusted his jacket. Looked at his Rolex.

"Anyway, I think we'd be a good match," he said. "Barry's said good things about you. You're a diamond in the rough, but you just need some polish on the outside."

"—and you can trust me, I'm a good jeweler," he added.

Everything felt surreal.

Then Kai shook her head. Realizing she needed to address things head-on, she said, firmly—

"I don't think I'm looking for polish right now." Then she added, "But good luck with your venture."

"You can be a part of this venture," he smiled. "We'll want girls like you as members too."

Girls like me..? What the heck!? ... What does that even mean?

He added: "And think about dinner. I'll follow up next week."

* * * * . . . . . .
. . . * * * * . . .
. . . . . . * * * *

The evening was chilly. Lilly wasn't in the dorm when she got home. Instead, Kai found a post-it note:

>>>Kai! I'm studying late at the library tonight! -L.

Kai opened the box Tom gave her.

Inside were twelve chocolate-covered strawberries. For some reason, they didn't seem appetizing, at all. They looked too perfect—like display-window food. I'll leave them for Lilly, Kai thought. She'll like them.

This brother of Barry's, Tom...

He'd been nice to her. Thanked her. Given her a gift. Even invited her to dinner.

So... why did our conversation leave me feeling so cold? Kai wondered, going over to the plants on her desk.

"Hello," she whispered to her plant friends. "How are you?" Imagining their cheerful replies re-filling the warmth in her body, she smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

~~~~~~~~~~~~