Chapter 6: Jennie Gardner/Jennie Kim

It was a crisp fall day, just a week after their two year wedding anniversary and Lisa was drunk before dinnertime even came.

“Jesus Lis, we’re just having a night at home, do you really need to get trashed?” Jennie asked after Lisa started hiccuping as they at macaroni and cheese.

“I’ve only had a few beers is all,” Lisa shrugged, her mouth full of the cheesy goodness.

“I just don’t get why you need to get drunk almost every night of the week!”

“Well there’s nothing else to do in this shitty town,” Lisa explained. “I work a shitty ass job all day and maybe I just want to come home and have a few beers with my wife, is that really so hard to understand?”

“What’s wrong with Polis?” Jennie asked, frustrated, always having loved the town she grew up in, even if it was a bit dull at times.

“Don’t you want more?” Lisa practically pleaded. “I wanna see the northern lights with you. I wanna take a boat ride in Paris and ride one of those double decker buses in London with you. I want to drive down the coast of California and camp on the beach every night. I want to go to New York and see a Broadway show even though I hate musicals, just because I know you love them. I just want more!”

“Why does it matter to you so much?” Jennie asked, her voice laced with anger. “Why isn’t Polis good enough for you? Why can’t you be happy having me here, why do you need me in all those crazy places? Why can’t you just be happy having a life here with me? You’re starting to sound like my mother!”

“Don’t you think we deserve better than this?” Lisa spoke, suddenly sounding more sober than she had all day.

There was a long pause before Jennie spoke again “Maybe we do.”

Lisa ran her hands through her hair, her nervous tick. “I’m sorry Jennie,” she apologized.

“I know,” Jennie nodded.

“How’s your dinner?” Lisa asked, having made the meal while fairly tipsy.

“Cheesy and delicious,” Jennie grinned.

Lisa noticed a bit of cheese on Jennie’s lower lip, so she tentatively reached out a finger and brushed it off.

“Thanks,” Jennie spoke.

“Are you sure I’m enough for you?” Lisa asked. “Just me, in Polis?”

“I don’t need to be anywhere else, because no matter where we are, you’re the only thing I’ll be looking at,” Jennie answered honestly.

Lisa heart skipped a beat and she smiled a drunken grin that Jennie wiped off her face with a kiss.

As she was officially moving to Birmingham the next day, Lisa decided to meet up with Jackson and go out on his ATVs with him, racing around for a bit. While Birmingham wasn’t too far from Polis, Lisa knew that with her business, she’d been fairly busy in the upcoming months, and probably wouldn’t have time to come back much.

Lisa pulled her car up to the Gardner mansion, arriving at the front of the house, surprised to find an expensive looking sports car in front of it. While the Gardner were the richest family in the county, they were old money, and practical with it. None of them drove fancy cars, opting instead for high quality trucks and pickups. For a moment, Lisa wondered if it was Jennie’s rental, but then remembered Jennie’s car being red whereas the car in front of the Gardner’s house was blue.