The Calm After The Storm

*Hades*

My heart thunders as I leave the surface of the Earth and travel back to my world. The storm hasn't ended, and I can still hear it above. It will likely continue for as long as it takes for Persephone to calm. 

Despite the horrible feeling of having to listen to her distress. It will be nice to know when she is okay again once things have settled, and our plan can commence. 

I don't know when the right moment will be to return, but I will certainly be keeping tabs on her to find out. Apollo will not get as close as he wishes to her as long as I have anything to do with it. 

Besides these facts...I can know one thing for sure. 

She chose me. 

And I kissed her. 

When I finally land in the presence of my waiting staff, I walk unsteadily out of the chariot in a daze. 

"My Lord, are you alright? What happened?" The maidservants ask anxiously. Jasmine takes my elbow as I steady myself before answering. 

"She might..."I smile to myself shamelessly, "...be my Queen sooner than you think." 

They all clap their hands joyfully and ask for more details of what is to come next. I'm not certain when I will return for her, but I know it can't be too long. The timing needs to be perfect, and things need to be perfect here before she arrives. 

"I want you to prepare a room for her, Jasmine. I also want some other areas dedicated to her. She needs a garden and her own throne especially, and I want them yesterday!" I exclaim loudly for everyone to hear. They are only happy to oblige and scurry away with the type of urgency that I like to see. 

"What of her room, Lord? Do you not wish to share one with her?" Jasmine stays behind to ask. 

"The Queen needs her own space, and I do not expect anything of her the moment she arrives. She takes my bed when she chooses to, and I will continue to court her here just as I intended to before." I answer softly. 

"That's very proper of you, My Lord." Jasmine curtsies with a smile. 

I wink, "Oh, I know." 

*Persephone* 

I find myself sprawled in the wet grass of the meadow as my heart beats out of my chest. I stare up at the darkened sky as the rain continues to pour. I feel too euphoric to budge or make my way up the hill quite yet. The moment mustn't end until there is no other choice. 

I feel a hint of freedom in my future, and nothing in the present matters anymore. 

I still feel this way even as Apollo and my mother peer down at me from above. Their faces speak a thousand words of confusion, seeing me like this. Apollo nearly looks disgusted. Demeter has a blank expression...which I know can only signify anger. 

"Persephone. Quick this temper tantrum! Your precious plants have been watered enough. Do you wish to drown them?" Demeter scowls. She thereafter smacks Apollo. He instinctively offers his hand to help me up, taking the hint quite quickly. 

I smile to myself. "Impossible." I accept Apollo's hand and stand beside them. "Don't worry mother, my tantrum is long over." 

Mother is clearly taken aback, her skepticism written all over her fake expression. Apollo appears much the same but doesn't verbally question anything as we walk back up the hill. He knew any cooperation I have for an arrangement with him wouldn't be genuine anyway. Perhaps, he believes I've just given up, and that there is no other plan behind the scenes. 

I hope this is the case. I hope he believes his threat worked. 

I walk towards my mother's little cottage with a hidden smile, knowing that the number of days I will spend here are more limited than ever before. 

Apollo says his farewell at the door once we arrive, with a simple kiss on my hand. 

As soon as the door is closed, my mother starts. "Persephone, I want you to join Apollo tomorrow for a proper visit. I'm frankly surprised he wants to see you again after witnessing you in such a humiliating state." 

"Gods do not care about what state we're in, mother. Gods aren't picky." I state rather boldly. I wouldn't speak so outspokenly if I did not believe it. However, from what I've seen and heard lately, I do not personally know a God besides Hades that has any decency lately. My own father is the worst example of how tasteless and reckless they can be with their sexual advances. 

And I am learning all about that part of life; the parts of life that my mother rather I lived my entire life without knowing about. 

My mother shakes her head but doesn't disagree. "It does not mean that you should act as improperly as they do." 

Responding is useless. I simply nod in agreement to meeting with Apollo tomorrow, the proper way, and go back to my room without another word.

I close the door with a huge sigh of relief. As I lean up against the closed door, I have never felt more hopeful and at peace than right in this moment. After a moment of silence, I eye my notebook sitting on my nightstand and run to grab it. He has been gone for no longer than ten minutes, and I feel compelled to speak to him anyway. 

I open to a blank page and begin to write as my cheeks begin to flush with embarrassment. Regardless, I keep writing while I have this state of boldness flowing through me. 

I will call for Hermes to bring it to him before the end of the day. He will, and discretely. He's a brother to me, and one of the few Gods I actually know and see frequently. I feel like I can trust him to help me without telling Demeter. 

I smile to myself as the ink flows out of my hand on its own: 

Hades...

*To be continued*