"Bloody brilliant" - Sirius Black x reader

a/n: so this is a bit of an AU I guess. This is after they left Hogwarts. Sirius lives alone thanks to his uncle's money and so does the reader who shares an apartment with Lily and the other girls.

Tags: No Voldemort so no war, post-marauders era, Sirius x muggle-born! reader

Sundays were reserved for family. While most people agreed to that, Sirius never truly had before moving in with the Potters. There weren't many reasons for celebrations back home and he did everything to stay away from his family so the idea of sitting around a table and eating and talking and just enjoying each other's company was weird to him. 

However, Sundays with the Potters soon became his favourite day of the week. And still were even after he moved out. Then, the tradition continued when he met y/n's family. While he was now acclimated to the idea of family and its dynamics he had never got the "big Italian family" experience. Which y/n was bent on changing. So, after assuring him that he'd be fine, that yes, everyone wanted him there and no one was going to act weird or anything and that actually every one of you tended to bring someone to these gatherings, Sirius was finally convinced. 

And that's where he was now. In y/n's grandparents garden. Where everyone was gathered, some were helping to prepare the food, the men beside the grill, beer in hand talking about football like y/n had already told him, while the women were in the kitchen. While y/n's parents were both wizards and so were their relatives, their parents were muggle. So while everyone knew of course about the wizarding world, these gatherings usually went on in the muggle way. Which amused Sirius to no end since they were the furthest thing from the kind of gatherings he was used to.

Warm hugs and kisses on the cheeks were exchanged as greetings. y/n's grandma pinched his cheeks and asked him how he liked his meat cooked while her grandpa gave him a pat on the back and handed him a beer. 

So far so good.

Especially since they basically mingled with y/n's other cousins which were more or less all around his and y/n's age. He quickly got into a conversation about rock music with Joseph, y/n's oldest cousin, so that when she had to go help in the kitchen Sirius didn't feel overwhelmed or stranded.

Y/n tended to gravitate more to where her uncles and aunts where but Sirius didn't notice until they were all called to sit down. He only noticed because it happened that you were sat in between y/n's brother and younger cousin Alex while her cousins Heloise and  Matthew were in front of them.  Y/n had got oddly quiet. Which wasn't that weird for her but he had seen you interact with most of them before lunch, and she hadn't been as so tense and closed off as she was now while she listened to her cousin Heloise talking, Sirius realised that y/n had actually stirred clear of her.

Contrary to popular belief, Sirius was not just a hottie. Sure, he was drop-dead gorgeous and a lot of times y/n had to refrain from comparing him to a Greek god. He had the whole package really, 'cause he was irritatingly talented and smart too. Like I-need-the-barest-amount-of-study-to-master-this smart. Which upset y/n and Remus to no end since they had to spend countless hours bent over books to achieve the same.

Settling down in his seat beside her, he started to analyze her, your cousin Heloise and y/n's interactions with her.

After lunch ended at the pristine time of 5 pm and everyone got up to tidy and then heading to the garden, he hadn't learned much. Yes, y/n was more closed off and didn't talk as much with her but that he had already known. He did confirm that it was a special treatment she reserved for her only. He could only wonder why.

As evening rolled around, you both went around to say your goodbyes and Sirius insisted on thanking y/n's grandparents for having him and for the delicious lunch. Y/n rolled her eyes when her grandma patted Billy's cheek and offered him to come by next week too. Y/n knew that Billy would have charmed every member of her family by the time the gathering ended.