Chapter 1: A Bittersweet Birthday

Sonny Rider woke up to the smell of pancakes and waffles. He smiled. Today he was sixteen. He was going to Rosie Baker's house, where she was going to hold a party for him, and then later on in the evening, he was going for a meal with his mother and father. Sonny got up lazily, and picked up his mobile from his desk. He'd received multiple text messages wishing him happy birthday, and his girlfriend, Rosie Baker had left him a voice-mail message telling him to come to her house mid afternoon.

 Sonny sent a text to Rosie, then left the room, and went downstairs. "Happy birthday son!" exclaimed George Rider. "Happy birthday darling" said Shirley Rider. Sonny grinned. "Thanks mum and dad." "We have presents for you, and there's pancakes and waffles for breakfast" said Shirley softly. Sonny smiled, as he sat on the table. Shirley got three plates, with pancakes and waffles loaded on them. "Yum" Sonny muttered, as he tucked in. He scoffed down the food, and his parents laughed at him. George went off to fetch the presents. Several minutes later, George returned with presents. Sonny smiled, as he opened them. His parents had bought him an iPad, chinos, Nike blazers, a Blackberry Curve, some PS3 games, several hoodies, and a bike. "Wow! This is awesome! Thanks mum and dad" Sonny exclaimed.

 George and Shirley smiled. "No problem son. We wanted to treat you. So have you got any plans for today apart from the restaurant we are taking you to later?" asked George. Sonny smiled. "Well Rosie is holding a party for me in the afternoon." George smiled. "Okay, we'll pick you up from the party. Where are you having it?"

 "Rosie's house" Sonny said softly. "Alright then. Go and enjoy yourself. Here, take some money to treat yourself." George replied. He took out his wallet, and gave Sonny £70. "That enough?" he asked. "More than" Sonny replied, and then he added "Thanks, I really am grateful for all of this."  With that, he headed upstairs to have a shower.  

                                                                           *

Sonny lay down on the sofa, watching football on the television. Rosie Baker glided into the living room. "Hey, what you up to birthday boy?" she said softly. Sonny shrugged. "Just chilling. Waiting for you to come in." Rosie sat down next to Sonny. "Can't believe you're 16 already." she said. Sonny smiled. "I'm only a month older than you." Rosie grabbed Sonny's hand and rubbed it gently. Then she leaned towards him, and the two kissed. They seemed to kiss forever, but at last, Sonny broke away and rubbed Rosie's cheek.

 "I love you babe." he said softly. "I love you too." Rosie said, and she rested her head on Sonny's shoulder. "So what presents did you get?" she asked. Sonny smiled. "An iPad, some hoodies, chinos, a bike, some PS3 games, my Nike blazers, and my Blackberry." Rosie laughed. "Nice!" 

Sonny grinned. "And they gave me £70 and made me pancakes and waffles for breakfast." Rosie laughed. "Your parents have spoilt you massively. And now, I'm going to spoil you." She kissed Sonny briefly, then stood up. "Where are you going?" Sonny asked.  Rosie chuckled. "I'm going to change. Everyone will be arriving soon, and I have to look my very best." Sonny snorted. "So all the boys will be gawping at you? I don't think so." Rosie laughed. "If they do, you can rough them up. Remember, I'm all yours babe." Sonny laughed. "Yeah, I'm lucky to have you." Rosie laughed too. "Oh Sonny." With that, she headed off. 

                                                                              *

Rosie's house was packed. The party was in full swing. Sonny danced with Rosie, as dubstep from Skrillex blared out from the loudspeakers. There were a good eighty teenagers in the house at least. Sonny took out his mobile. It was 6:30 pm. He had at least an hour and a half until his parents came to collect him for the meal. They were going to Rozetti, a five star Italian restaurant. Rozetti was very big and popular but very expensive also. Sonny danced with Rosie, and closed his eyes, allowing himself to get lost in the music. "When are you leaving?" Rosie asked. "At 8 I think." Sonny said. "Well I'll end the party when you leave." Rosie replied quietly. Sonny nodded, and he continued to dance with Rosie, enjoying the party and the music.  

                                                                                 *  

Sonny sat back in his seat and smiled, as his parents sat in the front of the BMW convertible. "How was the party son?" asked George. "It was awesome. I had fun." Sonny replied. He gout out his Blackberry, and sent Rosie a message. "Have you had a good day hun?" asked Shirley. Sonny nodded. "This is probably the best day of my life so far." Shirley and George laughed. 

They arrived at Rozetti, and ate spaghetti bolognaise, garlic bread, pasta, chips, and tagliatelle. Sonny could barely manage a chocolate ice-cream cone for dessert, so George ate it for him. "Time to go then." George said. Sonny smiled. "Thanks for everything. I've had such a great time." Shirley grinned. "Awh hun, its our pleasure." And so the Riders got into their BMW and drove away from Rozetti. Sonny slumped in the back seat, satisfied with everything. He was so full, and quite tired. Exhausted, he fell asleep. 

                                                                                    * 

Sonny heard sirens and opened his eyes. He was shocked at what he saw. His mother and father lay on the seats, submerged in blood. Shirley and George had bruises everywhere, blood submerged their heads and faces, and their eyes were closed. Were they dead? Sonny saw that he too was covered in blood. His head was sore. His legs were stiff, and he could feel a searing pain hurting his back. He felt awful, but he was more worried about his parents. Sonny glanced around. The BMW was a wreck, the doors were bent, and the car itself was a sea of ruin.

 Sonny felt sick all of a sudden. Without warning, he vomited. "I'm going to ask you if you can step out of the car young lad." said a man calmly. "I don't think I can move." Sonny croaked. "Okay, we'll get you out then." he said. It wasn't hard to get into the BMW as the doors were bent and broken. Strong arms grabbed Sonny and slowly hauled him out of the car. "Let's get the kid a stretcher! He's covered in blood, especially his face!" Sonny looked panicked. "What about my parents?" The man nodded. "Don't worry fella. We'll get them out in a second. Let's deal with you first." Sonny felt reassured with that, and gave a faint smile. Then without warning, he spewed out blood and vomit, then collapsed onto the ground unconscious...