𝟒. 𝐇𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Start from the beginning

      He was already sat down when she walked in with Spencer, albeit she was sat on the other side of the room since they had only just begun talking again and they had picked their seats in the weeks previous, but she felt like Spencer knew. Like when her and Mike met eyes and a ridiculously humiliating blush splashed her cheeks, Spencer knew what happened at the party, even if she definitely didn't.

    None the less, she took her seat in-front of Mike, trying to avoid meeting his eye. Trying to avoid the stupid smirk that sat on his lips upon seeing her. Brooke dropped her bag and pulled out her infuriatingly heavy book and dropping it onto the table with an audible thud that clearly showed her frustration.

    "Okay! Settle down." Their bald headed, stumpy teacher walked in, quieting down the class and immediately beginning the already lengthy feeling lesson. "Everyone get out your answers to last weeks questions." He said, followed by a rustle of paper sheets as people pulled them from their bags.

   Brooke was one of them, albeit hers had been crumpled at the bottom of her bag, but she had done it. Nevertheless, Mr Steins eyes fell on the brunette in the third row by the window. "Miss Bentley!" He called, walking towards the isles. She looked up and grumbled under her breath.

   "Yes?" She asked frustratedly. She knew her answers were probably wrong and that she would probably end up with a D- in big fat red writing on top of the page when she got it back at the end of the week, Mr Stein just found amusement in her failure.

    And as she predicted, he picked on her yet again. "Can you tell us the answer to the first question?" He asked, hovering over her and her crumpled paper.

   She sighed, sitting up from where she had slumped in her chair. "What's your name?" She asked jokingly, pointing to the line where their name was supposed to be written.

   He didn't find it as amusing as a the rest of the class, nor the few people that chuckled at her comment. "Very funny, Brooke. But considering that you didn't even fill that in, you've already failed." He snapped sarcastically, pointing at the blank space next to 'name:' that she hadn't filled in. "So, can you tell us the answer to question one?" He repeated, tapping her messily written first answer.

   She sighed, hunching over the paper and reading the first answer she had written. "1785?" She asked, hoping that was the right answer and given that Mr Stein didn't laugh as soon as she said it, she assumed she had gotten it correct. But he didn't like that. And he decided to continue until he had succeeded in humiliating her.

   "Okay, Miss Bentley. And when did it end?" He asked, but that wasn't one of the questions on the sheet, so she had no clue. She glared furiously at the man's bitter face, trying to rack her memory for any recollection that she had seen it when she had been researching the answers. But she came up with nothing.

   Until she heard a quiet but clear mutter from the boy behind her who was using his foot to gently tap her chair to make sure she was listening. "1799." He whispered and she repeated the date to the teacher who once again looked furious that she knew the answer, continuing to ask her questions that weren't on the work sheet, but each time she heard him tell her the answer, so quiet that Mr Stein couldn't see or hear, but loud enough that she could. "November." He whispered next. "May 5th." Again behind her.

   Eventually he gave up and the girl couldn't help but smile to herself, turning slightly to see Mike behind her, muttering a small thank you before she turned back, just fast enough that she hoped he hadn't notice how flustered she was just from looking at him. Because not only had he helped her, just like old times, but also because all she could think about was the party and that dark nook at the end of the hallway where history repeated it's self.