She gave me a warm smile and walked towards Lucky. "Now, let me see you, Mister Trouble-Maker." She grabbed him by the back with such a firm grip that he had no time to escape.

The expression on his face was priceless, body frozen, eyes wide and scared, and facial expression silently saying 'Oh, crap! Why is she grabbing me? What's she gonna do to me? Please, someone, help!' as he was brought to the table.

Marie cupped his head and tilted to the side to inspect him, looking pleased with his recovery. "This is remarkable! He's healed so impressively fast. There's just a tiny scar in his head but the bump and swelling is all gone."

"He had a bump in the head?" I asked, watching him frozen on the table while Marie checked him out. "Well, that explains a lot, actually. I thought he was just naturally weird, but maybe it's a head concussion he's having there."

He let out an annoyed string of chatter in reply but stopped quickly when Marie grabbed his leg and pulled it in all directions to see if it was moving as it should. "The leg injury is almost healed, and his ribs too." She praised, but he protested with a hiss when she pressed a tender spot on his leg.

"He still limps a little. Is he going to limp forever, you think?" I asked.

"It's too soon to tell. It's a possibility. But I wouldn't be surprised if the limp is gone by the end of the week though, at the speed he's recovering..."

She grabbed his face with both hands, to keep him still. "Look at him. Isn't that the most beautiful Heterochromia Iridis you've ever seen, Emilia? The colors are so distinct and so vivid! Beautiful, beautiful!" she said in awe.

I stood up and hunched behind her to see him properly. They really were the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen, so unique and mesmerizing.

He blinked back at us, clearly very uncomfortable with the scrutiny we were putting him under. His whole body language screamed: 'I'm dying here! Please, staph!'

When he whined a soft 'mewmewmew' of complaint, I decided to have mercy on this torture. "I think we've admired his Heterochromia long enough, Marie. He's asking you to let him go."

"Oh, right." Marie released him and he skittered out of the table in a flashing second, scurrying to hide in the dark recesses under the kitchen cabinet.

Marie rose from her seat again and walked to the door. "Well, I'm going to check my schedule for the day at the Clinic now. How about you open the Pet store early today, Mia? You can have the whole Saturday free if you work a few mornings in the store." She offered.

"Deal!" I exclaimed happily and she nodded before she left the kitchen.

I hurried to fetch some cereal for myself and fumbled inside a cabinet, searching for a certain magic item that I knew for sure would get me on the good side of a certain annoying fur ball. I grabbed the can I was looking for and waved it in the air to catch his attention.

"Now, who wants some yummy-yummy tuna fish in his tummy?" I asked in a sing-song and watched with a pleased smile as his furry head poked from under the cabinet, ears flipping eagerly upwards and eyes twinkling with expectant joy.

"Say meow if you want some!" I requested and he let out the most enunciated 'meow' of all time. I laughed before I went to grab the can opener so I could give him the breakfast of his dreams.

Lucky might be a pain in the neck, but I was a sucker for pleasing cats, no matter how aggravating they were.

...

Let me know in the comments what you liked the most in the chapter! Feed the author with yummy comments, just like Mia feeds Lucky with yummy Tuna!