Chapter 9

The Aftermath Of Last Night

Carlton House, London

"Your Royal Highness, Her Majesty asks for your presence," one of her mother's maids informed her.

"Is she taking a bath?" She asked, and sighed when the maid nodded. "For Heaven's sakes. Fine! I'll go."

The Princess walked out of her comfortable bed, already ready for the day, and followed the maid until she arrived at her mother's bathroom. As Charlotte expected, the Queen was nude, with more maids bathing her.

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, 'shocked' and 'delight'.

"You asked to see me, Mama?" The Princess made her presence known, and looked elsewhere, except at her mother.

"Oh, I did! Congratulations for what happened at Vauxhall, you have finally chosen a Bridgerton!" The Queen exclaimed, and Charlotte frowned.

"I– I have not, but... How– How could you possibly know what happened last night?" She wondered. "You were not even there."

"It is the talk of the town, dearest. That, and the Bridgerton girl with the Duke of Hastings. My ladies told me everything!" The Queen smirked. "Has he already proposed? Which one did you choose?"

"No! Mama, no one has proposed to me," she stated. "And they're my friends, not objects such as 'which jewelry or diadem I am to wear today'. And who I chose as a husband is none of your business."

"I'm the Queen consort of England, my dear. It is my business if I want it to be," she smirked. "And remember. If you are not engaged by the end of the season, there is always your cousin."

"I still do not think a marriage between first cousins is wise, Mama," Charlotte stated just as one of her mother's ladies entered in the room in a rush. "And why does it have to be a Bridgerton?"

"You have not stopped speaking of them since you've been back from Prussia. They are to family to you. So excuse me if I do not imagine you married to anyone else just yet," the Queen said firmly, and sighed. "You need a worthy, wealthy, responsable, and devoted husband. There is always your cousin, but... I care about your happiness too. Wether you believe it or not, it matters to me. And the Bridgertons make you happy."

"It has arrived, Your Majesty!" A lady exclaimed as she handed the Queen the latest Lady Whistledown. And just like that, the brief moment between mother and daughter ended.

"At once! At once!" The Queen stood up from her wooden bathtub, with nothing to cover her body. Charlotte winced at the sight and turned around awkwardly.

Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed.

Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton.

The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable take, the Duke of Hastings.

And let us not forget our dearest Princess Royal. My condolences to those gentlemen desperate for power who lost their chance with Her Royal Highness. Although, for Mr. Benedict Bridgerton, it is a great win, indeed.