Whatever Lucius did while wearing his Death Eater costume, it was clear that there had been a close and affectionate relationship between the Malfoys. Harry felt a deep twinge of regret that it was ruined - especially since it was largely because of him. It was painful to see how much it hurt Draco to be parted from his family forever, and Harry reached for Draco's hand to offer silent support.

It was just as hard when the time came for him to tell his own story. Draco remained rigid and expressionless while he related the part about Lucius letting him escape, and he was profoundly glad that he'd had had a chance to tell Draco about it while they were alone on the hillside.

Harry moved on as quickly as he could to the demise of Bellatrix Lestrange, the very likely demise of Peter Pettigrew, and the flight from the balcony. By the time he finished, Draco had relaxed and Dumbledore - as always - was looking thoughtful.

'Well, boys...' he said quietly. 'As much as I would wish that you hadn't had to experience all of this, it seems that your adventures have proved useful. Very useful.' He stood up and strolled along one side of the study, nodding respectfully to the portraits of his predecessors as he passed. They nodded back with expressions of polite curiosity.

'Draco...you said that your father claimed to be aware of Professor Snape's involvement with the Order of the Phoenix?'

Draco nodded glumly. 'He said that he's been feeding Snape false information about Voldemort's plans. They've known for months that he's not really working for them.'

'It is unfortunate, indeed, that our best-placed agent will no longer be able to gather useful information. But it is far more important that we know the situation, and can henceforth avoid placing him in danger.' Dumbledore sighed deeply, then turned to face the boys again.

'And Harry...from what you have said, it seems Voldemort is now without one of his most devoted servants...and if I am not very much mistaken, he will shortly be without two more.'

Harry nodded. 'Yes, sir. I...uh, hang on...Two more? I mean, I'm pretty sure Wormtail won't last much longer but...'

'Indeed.' Dumbledore cut him off. 'Even if he is allowed to live once the true depth of his cowardice is discovered, I suspect that the massive dose of Veritaserum he received will leave him permanently spellbound. He will be incapable of lying, or concealing anything, and these traits will do nothing to further Voldemort's cause.

'However, from the information you have been good enough to share with me, I suspect that there is one other from whom the Dark Lord should expect only a limited period of service.'

Draco gave an audible gulp. 'You mean...'

Dumbledore smiled at him kindly. 'Yes, Draco. I mean your father. His dedication to Voldemort is deep-seated and habitual - all my attempts to sway him from that path over the years have failed. However, it appears that he has voluntarily taken a step away. As I have suspected for several years, there is one thing even stronger than his devotion to the dark arts. That is - of course - his love for you.'

Silence filled the study once more. Harry gazed anxiously at Draco, who seemed to be battling with a thousand thoughts and emotions all at once.

'How did you know...?' he whispered eventually. Harry frowned in puzzlement, and Draco continued. 'You said that one day I'd be able to help Harry when nobody else could. Is...is that what you meant? That my father wouldn't let him go for any other reason but to save me?'

Dumbledore smiled. 'I do not presume to know the future, Draco. I leave that to my esteemed colleagues, Professors Trelawney and Firenze. However, when one has lived as long as I have, it becomes much easier to understand one's fellows. Even if their opinions have not been in alignment with one's own.'