Chapter 21

Harry stood frozen behind the open wardrobe door. He would have known that voice anywhere, after three face-to-face confrontations and countless nightmares. But it didn't make any sense...how could he be here?

Harry's hand went instinctively to his scar. There had been no pain, no visions...nothing. The idea of being in the same building as Voldemort and feeling nothingwas...well, a mystery.

The horribly familiar voice spoke again. 'Surely, young Malfoy, you do not intend to deny me the pleasure of your company this morning? I have been looking forward to our little discussion.'

From his hiding place, Harry saw Draco glance down the home made rope, then back towards the door. He seemed determined to avoid looking at Harry.

'You can be certain,' continued Voldemort, 'that if you attempt to escape, I will make sure that you are apprehended. It would be no effort at all to instruct one of my devoted servants to meet you at the bottom of that rope, and ensure that you are unable to abscond again. In fact, I believe I have just the man for the job. Lucius could be excused from his current duty of watching over the delinquent Bellatrix. He has become most efficient in his use of the Crepituscurse...'

Draco blanched. Harry saw him mentally work through the scenario of being tortured by his own father. Eventually he sighed and climbed down off the window ledge, glaring wearily at Voldemort.

'Good...' wheedled Voldemort. 'Now, I think I need to impress upon you that it is not acceptable to excuse oneself from the presence of Lord Voldemort, without being dismissed. I think perhaps...yes...a small taste of the Cruciatus curse would suffice.'

'NO!'

Harry slammed the wardrobe door shut and plunged between Draco and Voldemort, raising his wand. As he stood there, trembling with rage and fear, he realised too late that his wand was quite useless.

Voldemort gazed at him in amazement, then his face spread into a slow, ghastly smile. Behind him, Peter Pettigrew hovered excitedly, glancing from Harry to Voldemort and back again in expectation.

Harry took in the scene in morbid detail; the vial of Veritaserum clutched in Wormatil's remaining human hand, Voldemort's skeletal fingers clutching his wand of pale gold yew...the fact that Wormtail had closed the door behind him in his excitement...

'Well, well...' whispered Voldemort delightedly. 'It seems the Malfoy boy was of some use to me after all.' He turned his head to look at Draco. 'Perhaps in light of the fact that you have succeeded where so many have failed, in delivering Harry Potter to me, I might just spare you from the Cruciatus curse. However I am intrigued to know how you managed to accomplish this.'

Draco remained defiantly silent.

Voldemort laughed. 'I will find out, young Malfoy. I still intend to interrogate you under Veritaserum. But first there is another small matter to take care of...'

He whirled to face Harry, raising his wand. 'Avada Kedavra!' he shrieked.

Nothing happened.

Harry lowered his own wand. It seemed Lucius had done an extraordinarily good job of magic-proofing the bedroom. Harry and Draco looked at each other, the same thought obviously occurring to each of them.

Voldemort stared at his wand, horrified, then spun round to face the door. Finding it closed, and apparently impossible to open, he rounded on the two boys with a furious glare. He started towards the window, but they were ready for him.

With a primal roar, they leapt on him together and knocked him to the ground. Draco got an arm around his neck and tried to choke him, while Harry sat on his chest and punched him repeatedly in the face. Amazingly, without magic, the most powerful dark wizard in the world was just a bony old man with no physical strength. His feeble struggles were no match for the two teenage boys, and they continued to pummel him with furious gusto.