Chapter 24

It was some time around midday when Harry and Draco arrived back at Hogwarts. The Portkey delivered them to the corridor outside the Headmaster's office, where Professor McGonagall was anxiously waiting to meet them.

'Oh! Thank Goodness, there you are,' she exclaimed as Harry staggered to regain his balance. 'Go straight on up - Professor Dumbledore wishes to speak to both of you immediately.'

Draco looked horrified. 'Now? But I haven't eaten since yesterday morning! Can't we have lunch first?' he pleaded.

Professor McGonagall looked sympathetic but didn't budge. 'I'm afraid not. Professor Dumbledore is anxious to hear what happened to you both. It is likely that your information will be of great importance. I will arrange for the House elves to bring you some lunch. Jelly Baby!'

With that the Gargoyle slid aside to reveal the moving staircase, and Harry and Draco stepped onto it. As they ascended, Harry smiled at Draco with a helpless shrug. He had been hoping to pick up at the point where they had been interrupted on the hillside, but it looked as though it would be a while before they could be alone.

***

Dumbledore sat down behind his desk with a weary sigh, then looked at the two boys gravely.

'It is a very great relief to have the two of you back,' he said quietly. 'Naturally there has been a great deal of concern for your safety, and not just from the staff. Harry, I believe you will find Mr Weasley and Miss Granger in some distress. They appear to be under the impression that you flew off in a rage because you were angry with them about something.'

Dumbledore kept his face carefully blank and looked innocently at the ceiling, but not before Harry noticed the slight twinkle behind the half-moon spectacles.

Harry relaxed and suppressed a smile. It wouldn't do to appear frivolous when they were supposed to be imparting information of grave importance.

Dumbledore returned his gaze to the two boys. 'You have both shown admirable measures of bravery and determination - of course, I have come to expect nothing less,' he added with a smile. 'However, in my capacity as your Headmaster, and as the person responsible for seeing to it that you receive appropriate guidance to serve you in your future lives, it is my duty to remind you that courage and determination are all the more valuable when moderated by common sense.'

There was a moment of pensive silence. Harry guiltily reflected that it might have been more sensible to go straight to a teacher once he had worked out where Draco was. A sidelong glance at Draco revealed the Slytherin chewing his lip and staring uneasily at the floor. Harry suspected that he was having similar thoughts about his attempt to stop the abduction at the Three Broomsticks.

Dumbledore's eyes flicked from one boy to the other, a faintly amused expression on his weather-beaten face. He nodded once, apparently satisfied that his point had been taken.

'That is all I will say on the matter,' he said, to Harry's very great relief. 'At this point, there are far more important issues to discuss. I would like you both to relate to me exactly what happened, while the events are still fresh in your minds.'

Both boys started to speak rapidly together, and Dumbledore held up a hand patiently to silence them. He conjured a comfortable floral-print sofa out of nowhere and gestured to them to sit down. Two glasses of pumpkin juice appeared on the desk in front of them.

'Draco, if you would care to go first?' suggested Dumbledore politely. Harry sank back gratefully to listen.

***

A heavy silence filled the headmaster's office. Draco had finished relating his version of events, and there was a lot of information to digest. When he had shakily described his last ever conversation with his father, Harry's heart had nearly burst with sympathy. Much as he loathed Lucius, he couldn't help thinking back to the photograph he had found in Draco's cupboard.