Welcome to X: September 2015

It's like I take two steps forward and get pushed back ten! I swear I try so hard to do right, live right, and be the best man that I can. It's always something though. I mean, damn, can a nigga ever catch a fucking break!

"Good morning Mr. Santos, I'm Hailey. I'll be your nurse today!" The nurse said cheerfully walking into my room. "Morning," I mumbled sitting up in the small ass hospital bed. I was so over this shit. This was my third hospital visit in the past month. "Ok, so I have your morning meds, and I'm going to check your blood sugar before doing the insulin." She stated as she typed away on her computer. I looked at the time on my phone and sighed. It was ten minutes till 8, so I guess the morning shift was just getting in.

"How much longer I'm gone be here? I'm over this shit." I said watching her prick my finger. "Well, hopefully, today. Your labs are a whole lot better than what they were. The doctor will be around soon." I let out a deep sigh. I heard that same shit yesterday.

"Ok, we're all done. Your sugar is at 90 this morning, so it has made a drastic improvement. The doctor should be in around nine, and I'll be back through later. If you need me, just use the phone." She said with a smile. I nodded my head and picked up my ringing phone. It was my mom calling on FaceTime I had been avoiding the whole time I was here, and I knew she'll find out before long.

"Hey ma," I said once the call connected. "X? Are you in the damn hospital?" She asked with a frown on her mocha-colored face. I sighed," Yeah, I should be getting out today." At least I hope I am. I had been here two days now. "And you just weren't gone tell me or your dad?" She said raising her perfectly arched eyebrow. Before I could even say anything, she continued, "We are too far away from you not to be letting us know these things! The agreement was, you could stay down there if you kept us updated on shit that was going on!" She said sternly in her thick New York accent.

"Ma, it's not even that serious. I was just busy as hell Monday and forgot my insulin." I said with a sigh. "You know you can't be doing that X! You gone mess around and be put on a damn pump." Here she fucking goes, "You gone make us come down there and bring your ass back to up here if you can't be a responsible adult and do what you suppose to do."

"Ma, chill out with that. It was this one time." I said lying through my teeth. "You got too much going on for that X" See, this why I didn't want to tell her. "You have got to do better X; I don't want a replay of last year." She said with her eyes watering. "I know, I'm gone do better. Are you gone tell pops?" I asked. "Yes! As soon as he gets home." Great. "Alright ma, I'll talk to you later," I said laying back. "Call me and tell me what the doctor says X! I mean it!" She yelled. "I will love you," I said, then we ended the call.

I walked through the front door of my apartment and sighed a breath of relief. I was finally home. All I wanted to do was take a shower and a nap. You never can get any real sleep in the hospital. People were constantly coming in and out when you finally did dose off. I threw my keys on the counter and walked to the fridge to get a bottle of water. I stood there finally replying to some text messages that I had neglected during my stay. All of which was from some random people I fooled with from time to time.

"Ayyy my guy! Where you been at? My roommate and close friend Camdan said with a smile coming from his side of the apartment. He walked over to me and gave me a handshake, and then went into the refrigerator. "I got caught up with some shit," I said with a shrug. I had known Camden since freshman year, but he didn't know how sick I was. That was something I didn't discuss.

"You work tonight, bruh?" He asked now seated in front of the flat-screen TV we had in the living room area. "Naw man, I don't go back until Friday. I need to play catch up on school. I might go to campus after my nap. I said yarning and looking at my phone. It was only 11. I can catch a two-hour nap, then head to the library on campus.