30 | Future Warnings | 30

-George's POV-

"Alright, I'm listening."

I keep an eye on the darkening sky above us, looking slightly over Skeppy's head. It's weird to be taller than someone, but the height difference doesn't make me feel any more comfortable. He's still an elite assassin, who could easily take me in a fight.

A memory of the one in the market square forms at the back of my mind, reminding me of the first time Illumina attacked. I'd seen Skeppy fight then, watched him defend his soulmate with his life.

He killed someone for him.

Someone he didn't need to.

I remember seeing their body, cold and lifeless at the bottom of the stage. Seeing the assassin who'd killed him, blood smeared across his face with nothing but anger in his eyes. No regret, not even the slightest hint of guilt that he'd just murdered someone, especially in front of a crowd.

This is the same person who stands before me now, the same person that just told me they have no intentions of trying to get their soulmate back.

"What could ever make someone say that their soulmate is better off dead?" I breathe out bitterly when he doesn't respond, half certain I heard him wrong.

"You killed someone for him, I watched you do it. You murdered one of Illumina's assassins in front of a crowd full of people to protect him. So why don't you care anymore?"

"I do care!" Zak retorts furiously, spitting the words through gritted teeth. "I do, I swear. I care about Darryl more than anyone could ever know. I still do now." There's still a passionate flame in his eyes when he talks about the medic, identical to one I often see in Nick's when he talks about his soulmate.

"But you don't understand, George. Something changed, and it was out of my control. There's people in this city that are stronger than Techno, and I'm not talking about Dream."

"There's this group that hides on the outskirts of Central City. They stay out of everyone's way, unknown to most. I don't even know what to call them, they never gave me their name. But they're powerful, I just know it."

Zak stumbles over his words, stuttering out information in clumps. "Those people tried to use me. Threatened me, claiming they'd kill Darryl unless I helped them."

I've heard about this before.

About a meeting that Clay oversaw Zak attending, one that wasn't with Techno. It was with a different group of people, the ones he said he could see in colour. Black and red, with headpieces that looked like halos. People he said were threatening Zak for information on the elite assassins and their associates.

Knowing that Skeppy is unaware I have this information, I decide to keep it to myself. It'll only raise more questions, of a meeting Clay shouldn't have seen. "What did they want help with?" I ask instead, giving the trembling assassin a moment to steady himself.

"They wanted information. On you, and especially on Dream. Techno too, basically anything I could get my hands on through being an elite assassin." His explanation matches up with Clay's, confirming this is the same group.

"I'm no use to them anymore. No longer an elite assassin, I think, and they don't have anything to hold against me anymore. No way to hurt me." Skeppy pauses for a second, gaze dropping to the floor. "Or him," he adds quietly.

"Nobody can hurt him now."

I nod, trying to sift through information as it's given to me. That must be why Skeppy said that Darryl was better off dead. That group has nothing to use against him anymore, nothing that Zak is afraid to lose.