44 : THE CATS AGAINST THE WORLD.

Start from the beginning

"Apparently, Karasuno knocked down that Ushiwaka and managed to enter the nationals." Kuroo's voice snapped Yukimi from her self-convincing. The messy-haired boy was facing his teammates with half-lidded eyes that might give off the impression that he needed this over with (he really needed this to be over, he wanted to sleep or hang out with his girlfriend) but his tone carried the confidence that made the others smile. "We can't lose either."

Those words lifted the rest of the team's spirits. "That's right!"

Kuroo glanced at Yukimi, their conversation about Bokuto and his energy around the court ringing in his mind. Understanding the meaning of his girlfriend's gaze, he once again faced his team, his gentle expression becoming serious the moment he uttered the next words, "As it is, the main thing is to keep an eye on Bokuto. We can't let him have his groove."

"Got it!"

Nekomata laughed under his breath. "No matter how many balls come our way, we're going to save them all."

Every member looked at each other, already knowing what was coming next after that little advice from both their captain and head coach. Even Kenma didn't voice out or express his distaste on their usual mantra. All of them clenched their fist and placed them in the middle of the huddle as usual. It was like Lev said, their usual plays weren't the same as their previous ones. Every single one of them felt a tremor of excitement running their spines as Kuroo uttered the first phrase.

"We are like the blood in our veins." This is their last chance. They have to pour everything they've got. "Never stop flowing." The third-years will be graduating. The tides should be in their favor. "Keep moving." Their goal awaits them, all of them flocked with black wings and an orange battlefield filling the background. "Keep bringing in the oxygen." May the goddess of victory bless them with a single fingertip. "So that our 'brain' can operate at his best."

The match started with Sarukui's serve, the sound of skin smacking on rubber echoing in their side of the gymnasium, some people from the audience even wincing at the smack

The match started with Sarukui's serve, the sound of skin smacking on rubber echoing in their side of the gymnasium, some people from the audience even wincing at the smack. However strong that serve was, the three people sitting on Nekoma's bench smiled. Yukimi muttered, her hands still on top of her closed notebook for once in a match, "Perfect."

The ball's trajectory made it land perfectly on Yaku's forearms. It was a perfect receive, indeed, as it sailed in an arc towards Kenma. The setter never moved from his position, which is always in front of the net at the start of every game, his golden cat-like eyes following the ball closely like a housecat eyeing its dangling toy. Kenma rose his hands at the exact time of his jump, the only person in his mind resonating their thoughts together as a dark-haired boy made a quick attack from his set, the opponent not having enough time to block the ball. The crowd behind the red 'connect' banner cheered.

"Go, go, Tetsurou! Push it, push it, Tetsurou!"

The caramel-eyed manager inhaled a sharp breath at Nekoma's first point. Yukimi clenched her fist in a small celebration, her eyes crinkling at the corners because of her smile. At the court, Kenma laid his palm out without looking at his childhood friend, with the latter grinning widely and giving a strong high-five on the two-toned boy's hand. The captain's eyes gravitated to their bench, his gaze meeting that of his girlfriend. Yukimi lightly raised her eyebrows in surprise, not expecting Kuroo to look in their direction in such a tight match. Her large smile was enough for Kuroo, face swarming with warmth and pride solely for him at the moment. Call him a big-headed idiot but with him behind the reason of his girlfriend's smile (and scoring the first point!) made him happy. His smile turned into a half-smile, his half-lidded eyes turned hungry at the thought of having a chance against one of the candidates for nationals.