Chapter 26

Edikan's POV

Why is Olanna not like other maidens? Why does she have to be different? It's being almost a whole moon since I initiated the idea of taking another wife and made Olanna handle it just so she could get jealous. But Olanna has being handling the bridal selection diligently if not even passionately.

Seriously getting jealous is not difficult. Even the maidens that I don't know tend to get jealous for no reason. I hate that she is different. I hadn't planned for the bridal selection to go this far.

I would even sit on my bed every night staring at my door wishing she would barge into my room any moment and fall into my arms saying how she was jealous and wanted me to herself.

Why can't she be predictable? Now she wants me to participate in today's task since the numbers have reduced. The maidens were 16 now and am more convinced than ever that she would not demand that I end the selection.

What angered me more however was not just the fact that she was alright with me taking another wife. It was the fact that me taking a wife means that she was actually serious about not giving me children.

"Your highness they are ready." Came the voice of the woman that held my thoughts. I took a deep breath and followed her. My eyes unconsciously wandered downwards and I watched as her hips swayed as she walked. My eyes went further downwards... such beautiful legs... my thoughts were cut short when I heard voices.

I looked up and saw maidens standing in pairs, before them are craft work. "My King, today's task was based on art work. The maidens were divided in pairs to make an art work for the King. Hence the reason why we would like you to call the results" she said regally looking at the arts displayed.

I started with the one closest to me, they made a basket. I looked at it closely.... noting nothing special I moved on to the next one. The next maidens made a basket for storing beads, they also beautified it with coloured chalks. "It's beautiful" I said before moving to the next one without bothering to look at her.

Alright now I am confused "what is this?" I said picking up the object "a hand fan?" One of the maidens whispered. It seems she doesn't even know what they made. The object she called a "hand fan" looks like a broom. If the edges were sharp it would look like a war object.

I dropped it and moved to the next group. They made 2 brooms and a basket. Seeing nothing special I moved to the next one. This group made a basket. But it was not like the others it had the shape of an egg with handles at both sides. It wasn't painted with any coloured chalks but it was still beautiful. "Impressive" I said and continued.

The next group made a jewelry with palm fronts. I smiled as I picked it up. It looks beautiful even thou it wasn't made of beads. "It's beautiful. But I haven't seen a jewelry made of palm fronts" I said trying to tease them "My King we made it with what we were provided with. If the King permits we would make an actual bead for his highness" one of them said shyly.
"I would like that. Hope you both would show me in the next bridal selection?" I told her as her eyes widened "Ye..yes your highness" she said smiling widely.

The next group made hand fans it looked pretty so I decided to pick one, but immediately I did everything loosened and I was just holding strands of palm fronts. I sighed as I dropped it back.

I became speechless when I moved to the next group. Was it actually made of palm fronts? A crown painted with coloured chalks the shade of blood and a hand fan with the same shade. There were also little stools and benches all made with palm fronts. "Which one of you made these?" I asked still admiring the art work. "We both did your highness" I looked up it was the maiden that had tried to challenge Olanna the first day of the bridal selection and the other maiden Olanna had refused to walk out that first day.