Chapter 12

Olanna's POV

As we walked I notice that there huts looked similar to ours back home except for the strange markings on the walls. As we walked through what I assumed to be the market place more people gathered to greet us.

I think I was too exhausted because it seems that the walk to the palace became longer that the four days journey we had on foot.

Just as I thought that,  I noticed a fence made of bamboo ahead. I also notice that the crowd following us had made a stop without being told. I needed no one to tell me that we have reached the palace.

As we passed the bamboo fence into the palace I couldn't help but admire the palace. The palace grounds was vast just like father's. I could make out the type of hut I saw in the village as we made our way to the palace. But this ones built here in the palace were lavishly decorated.

Edikan gave me a slight nudge and I found out that I have stopped. I followed him until we got to what looked like the King's Obi. His throne ground was lavishly decorated as well, a spear was hung at the head of the throne.

I heard a woman's voice which made me turn to the source of the voice. I saw a woman almost my height, fussing all over Edikan. Looking closely I notice strands of grey hair on her head. She had a white bead necklace on her neck and she tied her wrapper from her chest. The length of the wrapper stopped at her ankles.

If they have the same culture as ours then the fact that she tied her wrapper from her chest signifies that she is a mother. Could she be Edikan's mother? Isn't his mother dead? At least that is what father told me.

The woman turned to me just then. She came to me, held my shoulders and looked at me from head to toe while turning me around. It felt like she was accessing me, like I was a sculpture that just got delivered to her.

Still holding my shoulders she turned to Edikan and said something in their dialect. I looked at Edikan to see him wearing a smug look on his face. She then handed me over to three maidens whom I assumed were maid servants since they were wearing identical wrappers. I followed them as the gently dragged me along with my friends in tow.

They dragged me to a hut at the far end from the Obi. There was already a calabash of water soap and a cloth. They helped me sit down on the wooden bed before they started removing my beads both on my neck and on my head.

That was when I realized that I was still wearing the wrappers and beads I wore for my wedding ceremony.  I almost tore the wrappers and beads off my body as I realized that I have not had a proper bath since then.

I could make out Nneka and Nnenna as they arranged my clothes by the corner. I looked around the hut and noticed that it was empty. Wait this wasn't the King's hut?

"Ehh, this hut... not King's... ehh just you" one of the maidservants said in what appears to be in Igbo language. "You can go to his hut... eh when eh later" she continued. She must have noticed my observation that the hut was empty. She must have thought that I frowned because I didn't like the idea of not being in the King's hut. If only she knew.

I wanted to tell her that I wouldn't careless if I don't see him for many moons. But I just smiled and kept my mouth shut. Only the gods new why the taught these selected maidens my language. Maybe they were to spy on me and report to their King any word that I utter.

Now I was becoming paranoid. I needed a nice rest. Once they were done with washing and helping me cloth I laid down on the bed.

"My Queen, eat?" That same maiden said. I just shook my head and turned to the other side of the bed and closed my eyes praying to the gods that all these was a terrible dream and that I will wake up back home in Tochukwu's hut.... in his arms.