"You know what to do Stefan." Klaus grinned. "Kill them... ripper"

Stefan glanced over at Adeline in the corner who was now trembling. She hadn't seen Stefan be a ripper before, she only knew the controlled Stefan. He looked like he was apologizing with his eyes, but Adeline just shook her head in response, trying to tell him not to do this, not with her in here. But this is what Klaus wanted, he wanted Adeline to think of her friend as a ripper, a murderer.

One of the women let out a blood curdling scream as Stefan ripped his fangs through her neck. He looked like a wild animal as he drained her of her blood until her head popped off and rolled across the floor. Adeline's stomach churned and she tossed her hand over her mouth trying to silence her sobs.

Klaus hadn't told her she could go back outside yet but she didn't care. She couldn't stand in the house any longer. She ran out of the front door and as soon as she hit the front porch, she spewed her guts, throwing up all over the ground beneath her.

"Weak stomach?" Klaus mocked joining her outside.

"What is wrong with you?" Adeline snapped. "Why would you make him do that?"

That isn't the response Klaus thought he would get out of the girl. He thought she would be angry at him for making her watch and she was, but really she was angry for her friend. She was angry for Stefan as he lost a piece of himself inside that house and she knew it.

If Klaus was normal or rational he would understand that Adeline was just caring for her friend, there was no extra feeling going on inside her for Stefan but that's not how he saw it. He assumed she cared for him as more then just a friend, and that bothered him. He thought Stefan wasn't good enough for the girl but instead of trying to tell her anything to comfort her  and try his hand at being kind for once, he was cold.

"You're pathetic." Klaus scoffed handing her a napkin. "Clean off your face and toss in a piece of gum, no one likes a girl with bad breath."

Adeline felt the rage boil inside her. She didn't expect the original to care about her but in some ways she did. Maybe it was the way it felt when they locked eyes for the first time or the sensations from there accidental touch but something made her believe he could care, even if only a little. But in this moment he made her believe otherwise, he made her believe he could careless about anything she said, did or felt but that was what he wanted her to believe.

"Are you really this heartless?" She questioned.

"All the time." He replied without a moment of hesitation and left her standing on the porch as he headed for the car.

*****

When they pulled up outside the sleepy little bar in the truck stop of a town, Adeline surprised both Klaus and Stefan when she walked up beside the Salvatore.

"Are you alright?" She questioned, searching his face for an answer before he spoke.

Stefan swallowed hard when he looked down at Addy, it felt like there was a rock in his throat. She was the kind one, the innocent one. Ever since Stefan had met Adeline, she had been nothing shy of perfect. Looking at her made him feel even more ashamed about what he had to do and who he was becoming. Adeline could tell he was upset and placed her hand on his forearm, trying to comfort him but he pulled away quickly.

"Please — don't touch me right now Addy... I don't —" he started shaking his head and let out a deep breath. "I don't trust myself right now. I just need a minute."

"Stef..." she breathed but he had already walked ahead of her and into the bar.

Klaus had expected Adeline to fear Stefan but instead she worried for him, she tried to comfort him. With every day that passed and everything Adeline did, she became more of a mystery to Klaus and unlike anyone he had met.