Second One

19 yo

"Are you even listening to me?", Beatrice asked impatiently.

"What?" Olaf asked blankly. Beatrice shook her head.

"You're impossible, you know?", she looked at him with pity, "If you like her, just go there and talk to her"

"Like? What? Who?", Olaf laughed nervously, "I don't know who you're talking about"

"You know, for such a good actor you are a terrible liar ..."

"I promise improvment in the future," he muttered. Beatrice ignored that and sighed:

"You've been staring at Kit all evening"

Olaf snorted.

"I'm not looking at her, but at ...", he broke off and began looking around frantically, "At Georgina! Georgina!",  he shouted and waved at her. 

The girl with the glasses smiled shyly at him and waved back. Olaf looked triumphantly at his friend and walked away to greet Georgina. Beatrice was looking at him with resignation when she heard from behind her back:

"Root beer?",  she turned at the sound of that voice, and a smile lit her face.

"Thank you Lemony," she said, and the boy leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Where did your co-star go?"

"To Georgina, though I could swear he'd rather talk to your sister now."

"Oh really?", asked Lemony with grimace, "I don't see that. Kit is a composed and thoughtful person, while O..."

"He's a little flakey, but he's a good guy", said Beatrice, "Now come and dance with me!"

The couple moved away towards the dance floor while Olaf stood talking to Georgina at the same time.

"You look fabulous in this dress," he said absentmindedly as he noticed one of the Denouement triplets approaching to Kit, who was standing in the corner.

"Oh, thank you", the girl blushed, "I just threw the first thing on myself..."

"Mhm, you want some wine?",  asked Olaf.

"Oh, I don't know if we should...", Georgina began, but the boy had already walked away, towards the bar.

"Brandy, please," he said to the bartender and turned to survey the room. 

Josephine was dancing with Ike, Jacques was sitting at the table, staring with concern at his plate, Lemony was twirling with Beatrice, Bertrand was laughing at a joke Gregor had told him, and Kit was talking excitedly to one of the Denouement triplets. He felt a heat rush that had nothing to do with the third, maybe fourth, glass of brandy. He finished it off, put the glass down on the table with a thud, and started walking toward Kit.